I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tiger Wrap
Posted by: Jim Gross (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 10:01PM

I'am still searching for the best way to make a Tiger Wrap. Anybody willing to share this secret? I really like this wrap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger Wrap
Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 12:08AM

Jim, There are only two other people besides myself who know exactly how the Tiger Wrap is done, and both have promised secrecy until Im done with the article Im writing, complete with photo instructions!...Stay tuned! Im really suprised at the the recent intrest in this wrap. I've been building rods with it for at least 10 years, litterally a couple thousand rods out there with Tiger Wraps, but over the last 2 years or so, customers and rodbuilders alike have really shown a lot of interest.....started right about the time I got my first digital cam...coincidence? LOL! Man, the power of the internet!

Now, If I can only figger out where to print that article............

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 12:25AM

Jim,
I'm only guessing here as I'm not familiar with that term "Tiger" wrap
but I bet it's done with verigated thread!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: April 04, 2006 01:46AM

Bet its not! hehe!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 04, 2006 08:44AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Now that I see you are working on an article, I want to take out my comment. Sorry about that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.97.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 12:47PM

Any one have a link to a picture of this " tiger wrap ??

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 04, 2006 01:38PM

Right above you, Bill

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.97.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 01:47PM

Looks like a flame wrap to me ?? Why is it called a tiger wrap ? I thought it would look like a tiger skin in colors ? A little base of blue, flames, then some kind of red on top with silver trim ??

Date: April 04, 2006 05:25PM

Bill, What pic are you looking at??????

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.42.84.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 07:40PM

The one on Billy V's post ?

Date: April 04, 2006 07:50PM

No flames on it! Looks like a variegated blue thread pattern

Date: April 04, 2006 11:39PM

Here is the link to a picture of the Tiger Wrap from this website.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 04, 2006 11:52PM

Doc Ski would be one of those two who know... and he's not talking...

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: April 05, 2006 04:31AM

Billy, No worries !
Putter, Yup! Doc knows the secret, and assured me he wont spill the beans...yet!

The Tiger wrap looks similar to marbling in pics, but to see it in person you can see the 3D pattern shift effect. Its done only with solid colored thread or solid color metalics....no varigated thread, dyes, or marbling whatsoever.
Some more pics of Tiger Wraps:

[s36.photobucket.com]
[s36.photobucket.com]
[s36.photobucket.com]
[s36.photobucket.com]
[s36.photobucket.com]
[s36.photobucket.com]
[s36.photobucket.com]
[s36.photobucket.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.126.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 06:59AM

It is got to be done with one of the two tone threads ---- but why blue this is what a tiger looks like, not to be picky ????
[sprott.physics.wisc.edu]

It would look better with NCP nylon orange thread and a black marker making stripes on the thread from end to end . When layed down it will give the stripped effect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2006 07:19AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 07:27AM

What's in a name?

When you invent a way to do something you can call it whatever you want. We all know it is NOT A 2 tone thread, as the guy who did it just posted that is not how he did it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.126.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 07:58AM

Roll me one of those. I just never seen a blue tiger ??

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2006 10:39AM

I think there's at least 3 people that know how to do such a wrap. Stay tuned to a very near future RodMaker for an article and photos, plus some additional wrapping and finishing techniques for even more variations on this type "look."

Date: April 05, 2006 01:01PM

The whole premise of this forum is to share rodbuilding information with others so that the craft can be appreciated, respected and improved upon. I believe that by offering this information to the forum that it will be improved by having other rodbuilders experiment with it. In addition, by letting your fellow rodbuilders experiment with this unique technique before the article in Rodbuilder Magazine there will be better feedback once the article is published.

Date: April 05, 2006 01:46PM

Scott is a businessman as well as a very skilled, innovative builder. His innovative wrap is his "signature" so why should he be expected to just give it away?? If you were marketing a unique product, would you give it to your competitors? I think not! It's not quite like sharing a tip/trick to help improve your skills, it's giving something away that you created and market! Actually, I'm surprised and grateful that he is writing the article and will gladly pay for it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster