I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question re: color preserver
Posted by: Dan Fidonik (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:53PM

I applied flex coat cp to my wraps and tried to dab off the excess but the paper towel I was using was leaving fuzzies on the cp. I ran off to find a different one and by the time I got back the cp had started to set up. I now have bubbles in the cp. Will these disappear when I apply my finish? If not, how do I get rid of them?
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question re: color preserver
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 07:26PM

I would use a wet coffee filter and wipe it all off and redo. The best thing that I have found for rod work is coffee filters! Totally lint free, strong, can be folded in half and get a nice straight edge for getting clean finish edges and about a gazillion for a buck at the dollar store.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 03, 2006 07:44PM

It sounds like you are applying the Color Preserver (CP) TOO QUICKLY, as in POURING it over the thread faster than it can WICK INTO the thread. It over-runs the thread while the air is still trapped underneath, and - Voila - you get BUBBLES.

I don't think the bubbles will dissolve or dissipate if a 2nd coat of CP is applied, or if a 1st coat of thread finish is applied. You may be able to pop these bubbles now with a fine-bristle (NEW) toothbrush. Brush WITH the thread grain and see if that helps. Probably better to apply a 2nd light coat of CP next, rather than going to the thread finish. You just want enough CP to fill in the bubble craters. The thread is already pretty well sealed off (by the 1st coat of CP) from having any more CP penetrate into the thread.

In general, when applying your 1st coat of CP: If you WICK IT IN, supplying it to the thread at the same rate that the thread is absorbing the CP, you will drive out the air as the CP SOAKS INTO the thread.

Having seen this same bubble problem myself sometimes, and the Posts from other frustrated rod-builders who get bubbles in their CP, I am beginning to think that a plastic or glass EYE-DROPPER (with a rubber bulb) may be one of the better applicators for CP. Just keep the dropper upright and don't let the rubber bulb get wet.

-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2006 07:55PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2006 08:08PM

Why did you try to dab it back off?

Load your brush and lower it to the wrap. Rotate the rod underneath the loaded brush and make sure the wraps are uniformly and thoroughly wet. Then reload the brush, move over and do it again. Don't brush it around and don't dab it back off. If you see that you have just a bit too much on there - a pool has formed, touch the pool with the brush and it will pull some of it back into the brush. But make sure the wraps are very, very wet.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.3.28.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 08:10PM

Cliff, that eye-dropper is worth a try. I usually put on 811 with the bottle, but have a lot of trouble with too much coming out, or a big bubble appearing. I will try the eye-dropper on the next rod.
Steve

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 03, 2006 08:35PM

Yeah, as a reservoir, the EYE-DROPPER holds way more CP than a BRUSH can hold. And as Tom Kirkman said, your goal is to SOAK & SATURATE the thread. If your hands & fingers are steady, the eye dropper won't drip. Usually.

For small diameter rod blanks, and minimal wrap lengths, a brush will hold plenty of CP. ... But for guide wraps on larger diameter rod blanks, and for under-wraps and butt wraps, yeah, the eye dropper is hard to beat, in my opinion. And it cleans up easily and can be dried off quickly. (Or just thrown out if you find a cheap supply.)

Some brands of CP that have more organic solvents in them may develop a gas head pressure over the liquid and try to "spit" out the liquid, right after you fill the dropper and release the bulb. The way to stop that scrap is to squeeze the bulb up & down 2 or 3 times while the dropper tip is in the bottle-liquid. That action will saturate the AIR (nitrogen / oxygen) over the liquid in the dropper with the vapor from the CP solvents / vehicle. That will prevent further evaporation of the solvent. (That's where the pressure build-up or "spitting" is coming from.) That little trick usually stops the dribbling.

-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2006 09:43PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Dan Fidonik (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 10:47PM

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. Tom, I was doing what I was taught by the guy who taught me how to build rods. It worked well on my first rod but I oopsed on the second.Will try the coffee filter and eye dropper ideas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster