I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish problems
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:18PM

I just finished my 5th rod, I'm using flexcoat lite. I have used this on my previous rods with no problems bthis rod has been done for 3 days and a couple of the wraps are still tacky. Not all of them just a couple. The last coat was all the same batch. I thought I mixed it well but maybe not. Will it eventually cure? If not, Will another coat solve the problem? Any help will be appreciated

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish problems
Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:29PM

Bill,

Easy one this Just slap another coat of finish on the offending wraps. Mix a decent amount say 2mcc at least stir well and you are good to go. Warm room a must. Lewave all flam throwing devices etc in yoiur tool box LOL

No after 3 days I think your tacky warps will stay that way. Keep your fingers off unles you like fish eye

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:29PM

Bill,

Easy one this Just slap another coat of finish on the offending wraps. Mix a decent amount say 2mcc at least stir well and you are good to go. Warm room a must. Leave all flame throwing devices etc in yoiur tool box LOL

No after 3 days I think your tacky warps will stay that way. Keep your fingers off unles you like fish eye

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:46PM

Another coat will solve your problems. You missed the 50:50 by volume mixture by enough to not allow it to cure. If it was a mixing problem. I tip the mixing cup on an angle the entire time I am adding two parts, Then I only need to work, scrape and go over, half the cup when mixing. I use old spent brush ends as stir sticks and try not to make circles and thus induce air bubbles, but slide the brush stir stick flat along the sides of half the cup as it is still tipped when mixing. I can mix very small amounts of exopy because I measure by weight that produces a 50:50 mixture by volume. BUT AS THIS SITE RECOMMENDS USING SYRINGES FOR ACCURATE BY VOLUME EPOXY MIXTURES.
I however found out, its is usually too much hardener rather than too little, as a result of the differing densities/viscosities of the two constituant parts this extra hardner inequality makes the epoxy mixture remain tacky the notion of mixing and/or some how erroring on the side extra hardener is not the remedey and actually using less hardner than epoxy produces more consistant curing results, BUT IS IN NO WAY A SUBSTITUTE FOR A VALID REPEATABLE 50:50 mixture by volume

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2006 08:11PM

I can't add much to what has been said here and it all likelihood you were off on your mix - it's a very common mistake, probably the most common culprit when finishes won't set.

On the off chance that you have the rod in a very cool area, move it to a warmer area for a day and see what happens. Very cool temps can slow down the set and cure of an epoxy. I'd guess this isn't your problem in this instance, but will mention it just in case.

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 09:13PM

Thanks Guys, I'll give it another coat

Posted by: Mel Baldwin (---.dyn.fmtc.com)
Date: April 04, 2006 01:28PM

I had this same problem on a rod that I did (tacky finish on only one wrap) & I think I discovered my problem. When I mixed my epoxy, the edges of my 2 part puddle may not have been thoroughly mixed in & I dipped my brush or spatula (can't remember what I was using then) into this unmixed area of the epoxy. I pay close attention now to getting the epoxy thoroughly mixed out to the edges & I haven't had this problem since. Just a thought.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2006 05:32PM

You're dead on target here, Mel. This is the usual culprit when one wrap dries but another one out of the same epoxy batch doesn't. Thanks for bringing it up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster