I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Halibut Blanks?
Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 03:51PM

Well, I finally saved up enough $$ to get a skiff, and now need to build a new halibut stick. Looking for any suggestions on blanks/guides etc. Looking for a good stout blank for heavy bait and jigging, and I'm thinking 6.5 ft or less. I've never built such a large rod (mostly fly), so any tips would be great! I figure I'll go with a bumper spiral with possibly turbo guides. So far leaning towards Lamiglas or Batson.

Thanks,
Ray Vinzant
Juneau, AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Halibut Blanks?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 03, 2006 03:58PM

Where will you be fishing for them? Cali Coast, or Alaska? Might want to give us more info on how you'll be fishing.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 03, 2006 04:25PM

RBO SEARCH = "JOHN BLAIR HALIBUT"
LAST YEAR; SUBJECT + MESSAGE + AUTHOR

RBO SEARCH = "JOHN BLAIR"

RBO SEARCH = "HALIBUT"

Split Grip Halibut Rod ... Capt. John Blair ... 12/24/05 ... 09:15AM
[www.rodbuilding.org] "My buddy and I own a small halibut and salmon Charter business in Alaska. The truth is we got too old to handle the heat here in South Texas during the summer (we love it except for the summer). I noticed over the last 4 or 5 years that my customer, esp. the ladies and kids, were having trouble hauling halibut in. I am thinking about building a six foot boat or halibut rod ... etc." - Big John ... Rio Hondo, Texas. ... An idle mind is the ... "best way to relax" ... A penny saved ... "is not much".

"Ray Vinzant, Juneau, AK" <[email protected]> - Ray V., Do some background reading on "Blair" & "Halibut", and crank up the e-mail and give Big John a holler. ... He's a friendly Capt and I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you and help if he can. ... "Capt. John Blair" <[email protected]>

Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 04:33PM

I would take a look at the PBX Pac-Bay blanks, they are composite blanks. I use them for stand-ups for YFT Tuna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2006 04:37PM by Barry D Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:53PM

Raymond,
Thank you for looking at the Batson line up of Rainshadow/Forecast blanks & components. You will not be disappointed in your decision to use our quality products.
I have in my office 6 different halibut rods built on the following blanks.
TS66MH*GB/BL = 6'6", 1pc, 20-40lb ( This blank can handle much more than that, I fish 80 lb braid on this rod.) Mod/Fast action. This particular Rod was built by Don Morton with the Spiral Wrap Design, the only way IMHO to build a rod like this. Components from Butt to Tip: AG27BL = aluminum Gimbal ( Blue), Slick 10 = slick butt,
ETAHD22M-B/BL ( Black & Blue) = our new Hvy Duty Marine grade aluminum Reel Seat ( Unique design to Batson) BF14A1012 = 14" EVA Foregrip, BH = Hosel, 11 UD style (Black& Blue) guides and a matching Hvy duty tip top.
2 other ones with the same TS( Tough Sticks, trade mark of Batson Ent.) series blanks ( One lighter & One heavier) with the All American Roller Guide Company Acid Wrap Guides..One Built by John Knight and the other by Scott Throop.
I also have one of these built with very simular components with our Solid Glass Blank - 695x220x72
I also have one built on our SWB series with Turbo Guides ( BSTUG).
I also have one built on our FSU56XH blank = 5'6" 50-80 lb test. Built By Mark Crouse with all roller guides and alot of Custom Work..( Weaves & Such)
To pick my favorite one would be tough. I guess I would pick the most productive one , the one done by Don Morton.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us. We would be more than happy to give you our opinion.
Thank you all for your support, we could not do it without you.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises.
Rainshadow/Forecast Product line.
877-875-2381
batson@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:57PM

Ray Vinzant – Like I was saying, you REALLY should read the whole Thread with John Blair from Christmas Eve 2005. LOTS of good Replies from the RBO Forum there. Too much to re-Post here. … [www.rodbuilding.org]

You can also SHOP for Batson RainShadow & ForeCast Rod Blanks, and all the fabulous ForeCast Guides & Components at www.FISHSTICKS4U.com. FishSticks4U is a FULL-LINE BATSON DEALER, and Robert Tignor & Co. at FS4U have all you’ll need to finish your rod-building project(s), and round out your components inventory.
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA.

Re: Split Grip Halibut Rod ... BILL BATSON ... 12-24-05 12:45
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The spiral wrap IMHO is the only way to fish for big fish such as Halibut.

The two rods I carry when targeting Halibut are built this way: One is built by Don Morton, and the other one is built by John Knight. One has All American Acid Wrap roller guides, and the other one has Forecast Zirconium UD style guides.

They both have a gimbal, ForeCast 8" Slick Butt, AHD24M Hvy duty Aluminum Reel Seat, and 16" EVA Foregrip. This is great for leaning on the gunwale. Both the blanks used are the Forecast E-Glass/ ToughSticks w/solid glass tip. I have landed alot of halibut with these rods, and there is a big difference with the spiral wrap design.

Mark Crouse is currently finishing up another one to add to my quiver. This one is not a spiral wrap, but still will see alot of action also. I know alot of Guides in Alaska are also using this set up with our Solid Glass Blanks They are indestructible, but heavy.

I can hardly wait till Halibut season again this year in the Great Northwest.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Bill Batson, CEO – Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast products
877-875-2381
batson@batsoneneterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2006 07:01PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 03:33AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. That Don Morton rod sounds very nice indeed! Will be fishing for halibut near Juneau in Southeast Alaska. I think the fish here average at around 40lbs or so, but 80 pounders are pretty common. Sounds like that Tough Stick is the way to go. Any comments/hints etc on building such a heavy rod would be nice, as I''ve never done so. I've seen a lot of rods around here that are totally coated with thread finish. Is that really needed? Whats the advantage?

I hope spring hurries up....spring kings in May!

Thanks again,
Ray

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 09:53AM

Volume 6, Issue 3, of RodMaker magazine has an excellent article on building Standup rods that provides good information on building a rod such as you are contemplating for halibut.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2006 11:43PM

Hello Ray,
There are several great blanks out there and Bill Batson handles some of the best and has great guides, rollers and such. BE SURE TO THINK SPIRAL WRAPS. The longer the foregrip the better depending on how you intend to fish for the big cows. Send me a email and I will mail you some pictures of some of the rods I make mostly for charter boats but it may give you some ideas. I can't push the idea of long foregrips and spiral wraps enough. Just my opinion. I am sure you will make a good rod and I hope you win your local derby with it. Good luck and good fishing.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2006 02:15AM

For your size halibut, I used the old standby Forecast SWB 70H, BC 29 B gimbal cover, AG 27 Gimbal, Slick 8 rear butt, AHD 22 M reelseat, BF foregrip, and STLG guides with matching top. My 100 lb and less Halibut rod, my ling rod. It is a recipe I received from Batson some years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster