I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with dysfunctional PacBay Rodsmith
Posted by: Will Leidig (12.39.206.---)
Date: April 03, 2006 08:26AM

I've got a PacBay Rodsmith which works fine when wrapping, but during the dry cycle it stutters, hangs up, reverses direction, and sometimes even just stops all on its own. It even does this when there's no rod in the chuck. Its an older machine, and I'm sure it just needs a part replaced (obviously!) but I'm not sure which part. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with dysfunctional PacBay Rodsmith
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2006 09:10AM

I wasn't aware that they made a machine for both purposes. What motor are you using for the drying cycle?

Date: April 03, 2006 09:36AM

The smaller motor, I suppose. It has a 3-way switch - wrap-off-dry. The belt goes around both motor's pulleys and the fly wheel, or at least that's the way it was set-up when I got it.

Posted by: Dean Pertot (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 10:03AM

Dear Will:

What you need to do is to replace the drying motor on the unit.

We have them in stock. You can call us at our toll free 866-489-2046, and we will be able to
shoot one out to you immediately.

Dean Pertot
donartrods.com

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 10:47AM

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW the belt goes on ONE OR THE OTHER PULLEY white one for wrapping (the back one front one for drying
Try that see if it helps you will probly need a new belt though
give pacbay a shout and they may just send you a new drying motor if not then its an 11 rpm motor that you need

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 01:07PM

Yes. What Allen said. You have to sort of pull on the motor assembly to switch the belt from one pulley to the other, which I always thought was kind of weird.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 03, 2006 01:46PM

Those little reversable drying motors wear out and need replacing. For small rods they are adequate, but I've had one wear out while turning the first rod put in it. Now keep in mind that this was an 80# IGFA rod with wind on AFTCO roller guides and it weighs a ton. After a while the little motor just couldn't turn the heavy guides up past 90 degrees. It would go clockwise to about 90 then reverse itself counter clockwise to about 270 then reverse itself again until finally it wouldn't go past 180...it just sat there and vibrated as the internal clutch was worn slam out. They are not heavy duty units.

Jay

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 05:31PM

yeah what allen and rob said..when i hook up my belt on all three pulleys it does the same thing yours does..the extra drag on the drying motor trying to turn the wraping motor makes it change directions.the same as when you grab the chuck with the drying motor and the chuck hooked up,the thing changes directions..only use one or the other..it should fix your problem..i would say to get a slower turning drying motor for a nicer finish.i have both and the slower one ends up with a much more level and smoother glassy finish than the one on my pac bay machine,every time..

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 07:17PM

Jay,

Did you purchase a different drying arrangement for the offshore rods?

Curious.

Thanks

Ernie

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 10:04PM

I have a PacBay unite. Try and see if you can moce the pully on the drying motor up down and sie ways. If that happens most likely you need a new drier motor Give Mr. Brown a call at PacBay it is a toll free number. Did you say it is a older unit , How old is it and did you buy it used? I would have emailed you directly but you have a hidden email.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Demmons (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 11:44PM

As was stated before you only need to hook the drive belt (o-ring to one of the drive pulleys at a time--for the job you are trying to do--drying to the small motor pulley--sanding handle and speed wrapping to the larger motor pulley)--if you still find you are having problems, I would next check the set screws on the drive and driven pulleys as sometimes they become loose and you may need to tighten these up with an allen wrench....

Date: April 04, 2006 08:22AM

Thanks to all who posted. I moved the belt so it is only on the dryer motor, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Again, thanks!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 01:34PM

Don't feel bad I think we have all done that. One trick I have learned is while the rod is turning on the dryer mod is that you can stop the turning with your hand just for a second and it will reverse the direction of the turn. By doing this, it seems to me makes the finish flow more flatter and helps eliminate foot balls. Make sure the rod lays flat horizontally. Also if you have the older model chuck, you may have to secure the chuck to the blank better, By using some masking tape. The tape will keep the rod from working out of the chuck. Just take a couple of turns of masking tape around the outside of the chuck and this shall keep the jaws of the chuck from opening.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster