I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

smoothing footballs
Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 01:11AM

Now that I have a little more experience with this rod building fixation, I am looking at my first rod which I am mostly happy with except for a few footballs on a couple of the guides. My question is if there is a way to smooth out these bumps without having to re-do the entire guide? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smoothing footballs
Posted by: Kenneth Doran j.r (---.dsl.skt2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 01:49AM

I have done the same on my first rod. And got told to take a finger nail file to it litely and them coat over.
I did not do it i took my guides off and re did it. Now i cant tell you for sure if it works or not.Just what i was told.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 04:03AM

Dave,

You can mechanically try and re-shape your high build. What you need to consider is the time element as well as the potential result. You may be able to file off the bumps and or the shape you don't want. Be caerful as there are two main risks. The first is you could slip and damage your blank so you might want to mask off. Time consuming but necassary in my view. The other is that you may go too far and fuzz some threads giving you some additional work. Is it worth it. For one or two wraps then yes for a whole ropd then for me no.

When you do the high build again, try less finish and stay with it for at least two hours so you can see what's happening and can whilst the finish is still young take remedial action. Even then once the finish is on and in the correct amount all the rod should need is rotation.

Go back and make sure you are following the instructions on your high build. Stay away from naked flames hair driers and alchol lamps they are tools of rectificatioln only and can make matters worse for inexperinced builders.

Read up in the library on finishing. Last tip if you don't quite put enough finish on first coat then you can always go back and slap another thin coat on ( when first is dry of course). Much easier to control than one coat method. After a half dozen rods you should be flying with a single coat application.

Mike O.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2006 09:13AM

You can file or block sand them flat and recoat, if you want to go to that trouble.

In all likelihood, what you've got there is fine - you just don't like the way it looks because your subsequent rods keep getting better and better.

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: April 03, 2006 09:48PM

Dave
My first was a little footbally so its easy to share in the disappointment. I bought a couple of cheap blanks on @#$%& for practicing. I intentionally did not try to repair the first but continue to use it as a reference.
Last Saturday I caught a 3lb large mouth with the rod and as I was playing the fish I actually didnt even think about the footballs. I found something very special about catching a fish with the first rod I had built and have been very glad I left it original.
As I practiced (take guides off an old broken rod) I became more relaxed and experimented with multiple coats, thinned coats, thread packing, cp no cp various butt wraps and 3 different CP's. Its worth the time and its a small investment. I'd repair any footballs on future rods (hope there wont be many) but I think the first rod will always give us a baseline and something to measure against
Ive just posted my second rod in the photo gallery.
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster