I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

permigloss on wrappings
Posted by: Leon Schussler (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 06:29PM

Just started putting permigloss on my threads. I noticed some bumps where the tag ends are under the threads. Will this level out on the following coats? If I have remove them, what' the best way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: permigloss on wrappings
Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.48.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 10:26PM

Leon , Permagloss is some tough stuff if you need to remove a guide , it is also VERY thin and takes 6 to 8 applications to get any kind of "build", and at least 4 to completly cover thread wraps so there is a smooth finish . I use it for a first application on fly rod guides , then a thin coat of 2 part , usualy Thread Master , or LS regular .I don't think you can over apply PG , if you do you will see tiny bubbles.another cause of micro bubbles in the finish , either you put too much , or didn't wait long enough between coats ( usually 1 hour , depending on temp an humidity ). As far as the "tag ends" go , put on 2 coats and carefully slice off the tag , then finish up with another 4 - 6 or so till you get the "look" you wish .
Have fun , John , NERBs .

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 10:48PM

Leon,

Did you mean tag ends that are laying under your wraps, but creating a small, smooth bump where the thread is over them, or tag ends that are actually sticking up, out of the thread wraps?

If it is only a raised area where the thread overlaps, wait until there is a sufficient build up of permagloss, before cutting or trimming anything, and then I would be sure to only smooth or take down the coat of permagloss. Cutting or trimming the thread, in this instance, would weaken the wrap.

But, if the tag end is actually sticking up like hair, do as John said, and trim it off after a couple of coats, without damaging the wraps.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 02, 2006 06:27PM

May I add, I burnish my wraps to elimenate the bump problem.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 05:07AM

Leon.

You can't avoid this very small bump. Heck you have a thread underneath some others . It has to show as a bump of some sort. Everyone gets them. You may be able to ease it a tad by std burnashing but not entirely.

A size threrad it's not really noticable may be with D a bit more. Just put on your normal number of coats and it will look ok. Don't worry about stuff we can't do much of anything about.

If it's a tag poking out in the air. Re- think your tieing off process. To remedy it's more difficult with low build finishes. Put on a couple of coates and then try and shave off with a new very sharp blade. Or re-do your wraps.

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 05:28PM

How do you apply permagloss? With a brush or your finger in gloves? Or something else?
BjR

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 09:00PM

Are you covering a whole Rod? If so I use laytex rubber gloves.. Pour a little in the plam of your hand and start at the tip of the rod, squeez tight and slide down,
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster