I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What would you charge?
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 05:30PM

I was thinking about offering to members of a local fishing club converting their conventional rods into bumper system rods. What I was stuck on is how much to charge for each guide. What do y'all think would be a fair price? I was thinking in the neighborhood of $5 - $7 per guide plus the cost of the additional bumper guide. One other thing.....do you think this would be a good idea or not since it doesn't really promote custom rod building? It does make an off the shelf rod better though.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What would you charge?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 07:20PM

Personally I would not do it. It is a lot of work to take off the old guides and replace them. I would show them a rod you have made and maybe get some orders for a custom rod. I don't see anything wrong with trying to make a little money in your spare time but $7.00 a guide to me is not enought for the work involved.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 07:58PM

On 2 pc rods, there is usually only one guide on the butt section. I have done a fair number of trolling rod conversions by simply turning the top piece 180 degrees and adding a small single foot fly type bumper guide! 10 minute job for 10 dollars

Mike

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: April 01, 2006 08:54PM

On re-builds...I will typically charge $20-$45 just for stipping the old guides. Only after that do I even begin to charge for re-wrapping.

Jay

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.146.35.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: April 02, 2006 04:38AM

Wrapping at $12 per guide , plus the price of the guide (including your 40% margin on the guide) that would be a fair price. Some charge $6 - $7 per guide to remove them. Don't forget the work involved in removal, the excess epoxy that take a ton of time to carefully remove and not scratch or do any other harm to the blank.. Then, think, what if by some quirk of fate you break a rod,,, you buy him another one!!!!!!!!!!

Tight lines ~ ~

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 02, 2006 11:54AM

Steve,

Fair price very difficult to establish. Everyones's got a view point on what something is worth to them. It depend son how bad theses Guys want the rebuild you are offering. Re-builds are a nightmare. I reckon on a rebuild taking more than double the time than starting from scratch. Cleaning off old high build is extreemly skillfull work if done well. It is very risky and very fiddly. If the blanks are painted you can get into all sorts of problems. The best way to price thios work is on the basis of time. Charge an hourly rate plus parts. You should make a margin on parts. I suspect if you charged a realistic hourly rate the Guys would probably decline. In which case so might you.

The worst customer type in my experinece is another custom rodbuilder. I was talking to one the other day and he was moaning that someone had quoted him $90 to strip of the guides from a fly rod and rewrap them. The blank was painted to.

There is a price that is worthwhile and there is the walk away price, just be nice if you do have to take the walk. Genaerally a question like this is never going to provide the answer you want. Everyone has different ideas on what to charge out work for. It will also depend on your reputation to.

Mike O.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster