I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread and epoxy nightmare....report and success!
Posted by: Mike Ediger (198.29.0.---)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:50PM

A couple of days ago I shared my depression and asked questions about how to fix a fly rod where I somehow frayed the thread and each wrap had 1000s of little fibers sticking up after my first coat of FC lite. Well I decided that I just wasn't going to cut everything off. So I went down to a drug store and bought a little file. It is kind of like an emory board but it is almost rubber. The grit was so smooth that you couldn't even really feel it on your skin. It was supposed to be for smoothing and polishing nails after they have been polished. So I figured it has to work on epoxy. Well it worked! I spent about an hour polishing/sanding/filing all the wraps and then added a second coat of FC, and it turned out beautiful. I couldn't be more thrilled, the coverage is smooth, clear, you can see the subtle gold flake that I added in the first coat, and I can't even tell I ever had a problem. And keep in mind that it looked horrible after the first coat, and I thought I had ruined the rod.
Thanks for your help and suggestions on how to fix it. I got lucky I think!
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread and epoxy nightmare....report and success!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:58PM

Thanks for the update! I'm sure many others just learned something new!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 01, 2006 02:40PM

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Sounds like a great idea instead of sandpaper. I've seen (and used) these foam-sandwich emory-like boards, and they are cheap, washable, flexible and re-usable.

"Salon boards" or "Nail Buffers" are what the TRIM brand of products calls them. They are available in the Cosmetic / Nail section of your local Health & Beauty Dept or Pharmacy. -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2006 02:46PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 07:26AM

Some of the places we have to shop to get our rod building equipment is a bit disturbing. Health and beauty sections for nail files etc, the artsy dept for foam and brushes, and fabric and quilting shops for thread. I am not sure about the rest of you, but I don't really fit the look for those areas and I do get some wierd looks from some of the women when I go browsing around in those spots.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster