I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

underwrap question
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 09:27AM

I am planning to underwrap my saltwater guides. I want under each roller/guide about 1-2mm of different color thread. I am planning on going from black to HT metallic for this.

I know how to do this if I want to use the wrapping thread and an inlay, but my question is if I switch from the black wrapping thread to the HT mettallic and then back to the black thread, do I need to tie off the black thread and then start again after I tied on the metallic thread?

Or does the black thread go under the metallic?? or am I missing something..

Any help is appreciated.

Ernie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: underwrap question
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:31PM

Ernie - I'm not sure I understand exactly what your design intent is. ... But to create an alternating pattern for the underwraps themselves, consider laying down the thread in a BAND of several strands of (Color-1 plus Color-2). This may assist you in this process.

PLUS Banding would allow you to wrap in a continuous fashion, and thus avoid the complications of tying-off every time you want to switch to the next cycle in a repetitive pattern.

Under the guides, you don't need really high tension, and this BAND approach to laying down alternating colors or textures may help you achieve what you are looking for.

Gudebrod Trimar and other variegated threads may also give the look you seek in a single-strand thread. -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2006 12:36PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:36PM

I dont really know what you plan to do but one way is to take a piece of the metallic and
wrap over is a couple of times locking it down. When you get to the point you want just
stop with the black and leave it under tension and by hand wrap the metallic around the
blank then cross over the mettalic with the black and continue with the black over the tag
end of the metallic and cut or continue with another band and so on. Follow?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:46PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. What I want to do (copy) is in the link below..

[www.meltontackle.com]

See how the blue is right under the guide and is not interposed with the black wrapping thread..I think Raymond you hit the nail on the head and if I can just practice this correctly...!

Ernie

Date: April 01, 2006 12:47PM

Yes, as Ray is suggesting, UNDER the feet of the guides, no one will know exactly what is under there. A simple continuous single strand winding may be fine.

For the the OPEN part between the heels of the guide feet, you can INLAY -OR- OVERLAY the accent thread, depending on your thread sizes and colors, etc. A little ILLUSION is allowed here, so whatever works is allowed. If you use a thicker build thread finish, it will encase an overlay band and let it LOOK like an inlay, and smooth over the rise in diameter there. -Happy Wrapping, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:52PM

I have a DVD out that shows exactly how to do this called Narrow Trim Bands. Both Neal's Fishing (Neal Cissell) and @#$%& (Mark & Colleen Griffin) have these on their inventory, Ernie. They are both sponsors of this site.

If you have a builder near you, he may be able to show you how to do it, too. So much easier to see it done than try to explain it in words...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:54PM

With a thick band like in the photo I would probably just stop with black with a pull loop.
Just put your loop in and the metallic together. Lock the metallic then pull the black and
continue with the metallic and reverse at the other end.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: April 01, 2006 02:14PM

DVD? - Yahoo ! Putter's going nation-wide !!!
A video's worth a thousand words, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster