I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

celluloid inserts
Posted by: Dan Siminski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 11:11PM

I'm new to rodbuilding and am on my second rod, a 9 wt. I was considering using a fuji 16mm skeleton and a 7/8" celluloid pen blank for the insert. My question is " Is this reel seat setup strong enough for a flyrod that is going to be used for saltwater? And mainly, how durable is the celluliod pen blank material?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: celluloid inserts
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.166.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:43AM

Dan,
the barrel of a reel seat doesn't take a lot of strain, if any. The bulk of any strain on a reel seat is on the hoods when locking down a reel. Provided that you have your mounting done well, it really comes down to what will be cosmetically appealing after many years, rather than the strength of the insert. Personally, I don't see any reason why a general pen blank won't look good after time.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.58.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 06:53AM

Dan , if you take a look thru the photos under the handles you will see some fly handles with incerts that aren't even connected in the center, the two halfs are tapered to the blank in the center . As Mick stated , if you have a strong bond of the skeliton and hoods to the incert pieces ( good prep , scuff and fit ) with a quality adheasive epoxy ( Rod Bond ) you will have no problems . You can get quite creative with the choices of incerts as you will see in the photos .
Have Fun , John NERBs .

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Joe Emig (---.224.234.94.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 01:28PM

Dan,
What is the diameter of the blank where your reel seat will be located? If you need to center bore a large hole, it can't hurt to epoxy in a piece of thin walled brass tubing for added strength. I think the wall thickness is only .014", so it won't take up much space.
I completely agree with the above statements concerning normal stress on the seat while fishing. It's the other non - fishing times when it could take an unexpected whack. A little prevention could avoid a bigger problem later.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2006 07:59PM

i agree with joe emig. i have played with the acrylics and used some for reel seats. the acrylic is ok,but it is even better when cast in the polyester acrylic. in my opinion the polyester acrylic is tougher than the acrylic alone. the brass tube inside does give a little strength which may not be necessary, but is a simple step to add.

good luck with the acrylic it is fun to play with

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster