I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I'm an idiot.
Posted by: Aaron Evans (65.164.115.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:11PM

I just built a Forcast 4 pc. 7' 6" 4wt, and it came out really nice. I was putting the last coat on the threads and I was using flame to quickly take any remaining bubbles out. I sat the alcohol burner down and it was pretty close appartently and it started changing the color of the blank about an inch from a wrap and the wrap started changing color a little bit. It is about 3-4 inches from the ferrule. I am not really concerned with the color change as far as looks being that it is for myself but I am worried about the strength of the blank. the slight burn is on the tip top peice. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm an idiot.
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:23PM

Hi Aaron,

If you got enough heat to change color of the blank then I'd say you have a blank that is going to fail. If it is a section other than the butt section I'd contact Batson and see about getting a replacement section. If it's the butt section I'd oversleeve the burnt area with a piece on fiberglass blank that has the same taper as your blank. If you over sleeve you will have to extend the sleeve an inch, maybe a little more each side of the burn.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:46PM

Try cleaning it with denatured alcohol.then next if that doesn't do it maybe a scotchbrite pad....if it is just the outside gloss layer it will come off. If it is not just superficial then I would try the oversleeve. You can use permagloss to recoat the scuffing from the scotchbrite if the discoloration comes off.

Everyone makes mistakes...you are only an idiot if you do it again...LOL

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:01PM

It's not messed up until you can't fix it.
BjR

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 09:13AM

I venture to guess that we all have our moments....

A few months ago I wound up with a 2-piece ultralight that would not come apart, I had wrapped the ferrule with the two pieces assembled. While trying to pull the thing apart it suddenly did so, which was fine, but what was not fine was is that with the sudden release I wound up jabbing the tip into a nearby wall. Wound up with a bent sic tip top, and a broken tip on the blank. Ouch...

Lou

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 09:48AM

the man who knows it all is an idiot learn by mistakes and dont make them again..
if you learn by mistakes then rodbuilders are genius`s cos we make a lot of mistakes
like has already been said find out if its the top coat or if its gone right in ( alchohol burners can produce soot sometimes )

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 11:49AM

Join the most non exclusive club in the world. We all done daft things rod building. Get rid of your flame thrower you really don't need it for bubble release.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster