I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendations
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:49PM

I have a customer who wants a "noodle" type rod for crappie, trout and pan fish. He would like a 1 piece 8 foot rod capable of handling 4-8 lb test line. I have built ultra light spinning rods for other customers using 2 or 3 wt fly rod blanks but all have been two piece.

The closet I can find so far is a Rogue RX798, 7'9" 1 piece fly blank rated between 8-10 wt. Any comments on this blank or others fitting the specs would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendations
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:42PM

Don't forget that the SHIPPING costs may rise dramatically for a boxed rod that is below 8 feet long, compared to those boxed rods that are over 8 feet long. -Cliff Hall+++

Date: March 30, 2006 10:39PM

Without a real CCS conversion, the usual conversion guestimate is:
(FLY LINE WT) x (1.0 lbs / fly-line-wt) = FILAMENT LINE TEST

So the 8-10 Weight Rogue 1-piece Fly Rod Blank is ~ (8-10) lb test.
And you would like to get a 4-8 lb rod blank.

The only other rod blank I am conveniently finding
anywhere near that length, but a heavier power, is a
Batson RainShadow IP-902 :
IP902 ... Matte Clear ... 7'6" ... 1-piece ...
6-12lb. ... 1/4-1/2 ... 0.445" ... 4.5 / 64ths ...
Mod-Fast ... Med-Lt ... 1.89oz. ... $52.00 - Add

Rainshadow Inshore / Crankbait Blanks (IP / CB)
[www.fishsticks4u.com]
Rainshadow RX7 Inshore Popping Rod Blanks (Matte Clear)
Features:
• RX7 Intermediate Modulus (43 million), High Strain Rate graphite
• Technique specific crank bait actions
• 1/2 the weight and diameter of a similar power fiberglass blank
• Models to cover all sizes of crank baits
• Limited Lifetime Warranty

Ray Z - I'm sure this rod is heavier than what you are looking for. So let me say conversely that none of Batson's ONE-PIECE rods in the 7.5 to 8.0 foot range are as low power / line rated as 4-8#. I only searched thru the Batson Rod Blanks. And unless I missed something, there is no ONE-piece, 8-ft, 4-8# rod blank. It is not your imagination, Ray.

It may be easier to talk him into a 2-piece 8 to 9 footer, like the IST-108-1-F, than to find such a lite / ultra-lite one-piece 8 foot blank. ... IMO, ... Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++

Salmon / Steelhead Blanks (IST / ISA / SH / HS / DR)
[fishsticks4u.com]
RAINSHADOW RX-7 Graphite
IST1081F ... Matte Clear ... 9'0" ... 2-piece ...
4-8lb. ... 3/16-3/8oz. ... 0.395" ... 4.5 / 64ths ...
Mod-Fast ... Ultra-Lt ... 2.01oz. ... $60.00 - Add

Rainshadow Salmon / Steelhead Rod Blanks (Matte Clear)
Features:
• RX7 Intermediate Modulus (43 million), High Strain Rate graphite
• Technique-specific blank actions for EVERY possible Salmon / Steelhead fishing situation
• Durable, yet light weight designs
• Limited Lifetime Warranty

Date: March 30, 2006 11:01PM

Ray - maybe his aversion to multi-piece graphite rods is based on some ancient history that you can clear up. Today's graphite ferruled rods are much less prone to breakage, slippage, wear and ill-fitting than the rods of yesteryear. And the interruption in rod action and feel is almost nil compared to the old metal ferrules.

Maybe that is the only thing that needs discovery here - exactly what it is that is putting him off a nice 2-piece rod. ... I know: "The customer is always right, ..."

I just thought you could see if his objection is a legitimate bad experience; a strong preference, or an easily dispelled myth. Plus, a 2-piece is a lot easier to stow than a one-piece 8+ footer. And you already have some prior blanks & experience with 2-3 wt fly blanks to draw on. (Go with what you know, ...) (| :- ) ... IMO, -Cliff Hall+++ B)-

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:19PM

Cliff,
I am in basic agreement with you however in my judgment there is one reason and only one reason for there being a ferrule in a rod and that is to make it easier to transport and while a one piece rod can be a real pain to transport one piece rods are superior in terms of performance to multi-piece rods. While I agree with you that modern ferrules are dramatically better than older ferrules but they still increase weight and create a stiff section in the rod. I will admit that the weight increase is small and the stiff section is only a little stiffer but there is an increase in weight and the ferrule does create a stiff section.
You are absolutely right about the shipping costs though.

Date: March 30, 2006 11:40PM

Hiya, Emory: Fine-point corrections duly noted.

Being an apartment dweller myself, with standard-height 8 foot ceilings; and being the driver of an ordinary passenger car (not a long-interior station wagon, van, SUV or open truck), the rod ferrule is my small price to pay for my rods' transportability. Come to think of it, I hardly even think about it anymore !!! Anything over ~ 7' 3" is automatically a 2-piece rod for me. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:46PM

Thanks guys, once again you have confirmed what I suspected but more importantly suggested alternative strategies for dealing with my customer. This IS the place to learn.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.150.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:08PM

Ray , you may concider trying to find a 7' in what you think is what you (the customer) wants and add a titanium , or an aluminum extention to the butt . I've done it , fairly simple and it works great .
Have fun , John Dow , NERBs

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster