I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is it ??
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:15PM

Hy guys
What is a Lead Core Trolling rod ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is it ??
Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:20PM

Bill: A darn heavy rod!!! (lol) I assume it is a trolling rod which will handle a lead core line -- I've only used lead core iline for fresh water trolling and a regular trolling rod did just fine. /s/Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:28PM

Bob
Educate me. What are some good options for this. Blank, guides handle set up ?
Lead core line ? Are you saying the line has a " lead core " ?

Think I should try a search on it ? Or shoot me an email .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 12:29PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Dan Fidonik (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:52PM

I just talked to a friend who is a charter captain on Lake Michigan. He runs his lead core on a 6' heavy moderate action rod. The rod itself wasn't neccasarily built for lead core, he just finds that it works the best for him.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:27PM

Any suggestions on 12 Foot 2 piece blanks for 1 - 2 ounces of weight ? I was thinking about Batson ?
How about light weight guides ?
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 01:32PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:43PM

Bill,

You just don't want to know.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:47PM

Bill,
Leadcore line does have a lead core and is used to get your lure down without needing some sort of sinker arrangement. The lines usually are color coded so that you can determine your lure depth by the number of line colors (lengths) that are removed from the reel.
A standard trolling rod designed for the intended weight and depth will work for lead core as well as a trolling setup using lead sinkers as weight.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 02:27PM

Mike
What do you mean ??

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 03:47PM

Before downriggers leadcore line was popular up north for trolling for lake trout. Most rods you would use for trolling with a downrigger would work..perhaps heavier end of the spectrum would be best.

Down side is once you hook a fish you still have the weight of the lead core and the fish. IMO a downrigger is a far better way to go and most people have gotten rid of their lead core lines.

Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 07:46PM

Bill. I'm no expert at this, but my view is a 12ft for lead core line is way too long. When I'm trolling lead line, my go to rod is 7ft.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.151.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 07:54PM

Ross
Doing some research I found the same thing. Emailed the guy to make sure he wants 12 FT ?? Finding the average is 6-8 foot rods. Plus there is more power to lift with a shorter rod.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.elnk.wvfibernet.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:12AM

I used to build 12' 2 pc rods for guys using lead core for muskies.We found the perfect rod was a
Fenwick SU1445F.. butt dia. was like 1.225 X a # 8 tip - rated 1-4 oz lure. I don't know what blanks made nowadays are equal to that,but Todd could probably help you...

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 10:51AM

It seems lead core has made a big come back with the Chicago area Lake Michigan salmon fleet. If you want to get a lot of detail check out [www.chicagolandfishing.com]

My only persona experience was in St Thomas where the charters like it to get baits down to the wahoo. heavy trolling gear with a special roller tip top to enure the line came on straight. definitely got hit by the wahoo but not much fun during the fight

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster