I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which blank to buy
Posted by: Todd Metcalf (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:31AM

I'm looking into starting my first rod and am not sure on what power to get the rod. I've never have purchased a rod for myself, just used hand-me-downs, so this is an experience in itself.

I typically fish for trout in a lake by trolling. When I say trolling, I don't mean with downriggers and other typical trolling equipment. Its just puttering around a lake with a little 5hp outboard at almost idle speed. I also plan ot use it fishing in streams and lakes (nontrolling)

I was thinking something like a light or medium light spinning rod like a St. Croix 2S66MLF.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which blank to buy
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:54PM

They may have changed things in the St Croix line, but the 2S66MLF was pretty stiff tipped last one I fished with. Would be ok as a trolling rod, and as a rainbow/brown trout rod for larger fish in streams ( any fish that is large enough to start foraging on crawdads, minnows and chubs). A little to heavy for brookies and other higher elevation trout. I use the three piece travel ML St Croix as my Alaska trout rod.
Would also work as a stillwater bank rod for larger trout. Would be a decent float and jig or Rapala minnow rod.
A rod blank that I have used that has a lighter tip but the same backbone is the Rainshadow IP841. Never tried shortening one to 6 1/2 ft.

Re: which blank to buy
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:29PM

Hi Todd,
I just got back this past weekend from doing exactly what you are wanting to do. I used a 5S70MLF St Croix rod. The medium light was perfect for the task but I think the fast action allowed some of the fish to throw the lure. I'm going to try a medium action rod to see if that doesn't help that problem. I see St Croix has a 2C76LM blank which they deem a trout trolling blank. I like the sound of that blank. If you can handle a rod that long, it sounds perfect. For trolling, I like a spinning rod so I would build it that way even though the blank is listed as a casting rod. Remember, a blank has no idea if it's a spinning or casting blank. Just find the blank with the characteristics you like and build it the way you want.
Now for the flip side. The 2S66MLF is a very versatile jigging rod. I use it for panfish, walleye, trout, and light bass fishing. A 2C76LM maybe limited. A more versatile blank maybe a 2C70MM or 2C66MM. This would allow more trolling or cranking options.
As always, it's just my opinion.

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster