I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Label making ???
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:32AM

Is there any computer programs for printing on waterslide decal material, I would like to make some professional looking little logos for my rods. I've been using the sticker material from Mudhole and the silver fine point pen, Buy I'd like find a way to print my own, I have the waterslide material.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Label making ???
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:40AM

Any software will do it. MS Word, Pagemaker, Photoshop, etc. will make all sorts of logos and designs. You imgination and ability with the program are you only limits.

Any ink jet will print on water decal paper. But there is no guarantee that the ink will hold up in sunlight very long. I think that what people like Decal Connection use is a different type of ink.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:35AM

You can use a laser printer with any of those programs and print out on laser decal sheets. There are a number of choices of decal sheets for laser printers. The laser ink toner which is burned into the decal sheet by the printer, just like on a piece of paper will hold out longer than ink jet ink. You know how even on paper the ink jet in will even smudge if you touch it too early.

We have got some Glow in the dark, Hologram self adhesive, White for laser printers. The film comes in 8.5 x 11" the same size as regular paper you would put in a laser printer. Can do put about anything on them.

Call or e-mail us toll free 866-285-0673, pmaltby@ackfishing.com if you would like more info. The cost of the sheets is minimal.

Pete
[www.ackfishing.com]

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 07:19PM

Bill,

Your email address is blocked. I was going to send you some info. We have both ink jet and laser sheets as well as setting and application solutions. We also have Putter's Waterslide "How To" DVD.

Waterslides tend to be thinner and less easily detected (around the decal edges) than the peel & stick type decal paper (IMO). On the inkjet's your color options are a little limited as they won't print White, Metallics, etc.... If you can make due with the blacks, blues, reds, etc... that your inkjet will print, you're okay. Ink Jet labels DO need to be clear coated before applying them though as the colors will either run when you dip them in water, or when you apply the finish over them. All you need is a Home Depot/Lowes can of clear Krylon. Spray it over the decal and let it dry before dipping the decal in water. I've never had a problem with ink jet decals fading, but I haven't had a rod out there with one for more than three years, so only time wil tell!

If you need decals in white, metallic sivler, gold, etc... We can help you out for less than you might think. We don't have any of our decal materials on our site yet (except the DVD's), but if you want to drop me an email, I'll get you some pricing.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:33PM

Back when I printed my own decals I did so on my Epson that uses their DURABrite ink. This is 'supposed' to last longer and be more fade resistant than regular printer inks. I do know that is doesn't run or smear as bad on regular paper as other inks if you get it wet.

Anyway, that was then and this is now. These days it's only Decal Connection for me. Maybe one day I'll spring for an Alps and do my own waterslides, but not today.

Jay

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:50PM

Unless you have an Alps, I would stick to Decal Connection, can't beat them. Don't take anyone's word about the ink jet and laser printers Print a label, put it on a scrap and set it out in the sun for a few days and I think that you'll be calling DC. Better to do that then take someones opinion and end up with a beautiful rod with a really bad decal

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:02PM

Mark Griffin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill,
>
> Your email address is blocked. I was going to
> send you some info. We have both ink jet and
> laser sheets as well as setting and application
> solutions. We also have Putter's Waterslide "How
> To" DVD.
>
> Waterslides tend to be thinner and less easily
> detected (around the decal edges) than the peel
> & stick type decal paper (IMO). On the
> inkjet's your color options are a little limited
> as they won't print White, Metallics, etc.... If
> you can make due with the blacks, blues, reds,
> etc... that your inkjet will print, you're okay.
> Ink Jet labels DO need to be clear coated before
> applying them though as the colors will either run
> when you dip them in water, or when you apply the
> finish over them. All you need is a Home
> Depot/Lowes can of clear Krylon. Spray it over
> the decal and let it dry before dipping the decal
> in water. I've never had a problem with ink jet
> decals fading, but I haven't had a rod out there
> with one for more than three years, so only time
> wil tell!
>
> If you need decals in white, metallic sivler,
> gold, etc... We can help you out for less than
> you might think. We don't have any of our decal
> materials on our site yet (except the DVD's), but
> if you want to drop me an email, I'll get you some
> pricing.
>
> Mark@@#$%&
Huh, I didnt know my email address was blocked, I wonder how I unblock it, Anyone? I'm kind of a computer retard

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:07PM

Bill, Click on MY CONTROL CENTER at the top of the message list click on EDIT E-MAIL SETTINGS and enter and confirm your e-mail address. That way when people click on your name at the top of your post, it will show your e-mail address.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster