I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tack Cloth
Posted by: Ryan Dietman (---.108.68.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:01AM

Is it safe to use any kind of tack cloth before applying epoxy? I've seen several different kinds. Some say don't wipe just press down, others say wipe in short strokes. If not tack cloth, is there a better way to remove dust or fuzz from wraps before finishing? What about pressing some scotch tape an lifting it off? Any other advice?? Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tack Cloth
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:06AM

Just knock any dust off by hitting the wraps with a clean, soft brush. That's all you need to do.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:14AM

Or wipe with a clean paper towel for stubborn lint. Tack cloth may leave some thing on it

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:24AM

Ryan,

I can't say for tack cloths but I can for masking tape. I routinely dab this tape on my finished wraps. I also dab them before burnishing so I dont force any crud into the thread before finishing. It has never caused any problems but solved plenty.

Posted by: Ryan Dietman (---.108.68.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:30AM

Great advice. I finished wrapping my guides this weekend, and before I applied the epoxy I decided to practice on an old blank. So I did a few wraps to practice on. I did one with CP and one without CP. Just to see the difference in the color, but the dust and fuzz really stood out. Man I'm glad I decided to do a trial run first. Thanks again guys.!!

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:46AM

I use a tack cloth all the time just prior to applying epoxy and have never had a problem. Randy.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:22PM

I have used tape as well in the past and then brushed the wraps with a flame lightly to get those little stick ups that are hard to see. I use an optivisor now that really helps with that little tiny stuff and my aging eyes. A lot of the time I will wrap my work that I will finish later with plastic wrap to avoid the dust and nasty stuff goofing me up.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 06:33AM

I reciently had a problem with static build up in a rod.Dust it off with air or a brush and like a magnet dust was back.Experimented with a spray of Static-guard and had no problems.Sprayed the whole area.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster