I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

custom handles
Posted by: Eric Brockman (192.110.64.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:53AM

Hello people, I am new to rod building, I have just finished my third rod and am thinking about making custom handles. Have been looking at the photo gallery and have seen some awesome handles. Want to know how the handles are made with the checker and diamond patterns. Have never seen this before. I was thinking you burn them on, with maybe a templete with the shape cut out or something. If any one does this with thier handles and would be nice enough to give up some info, would apreciate greatly. Even what the best cork to use is would help. thank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: custom handles
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:11AM

Are you talking about cork or wood? I believe Custom Tackle has an aluminum jig for slicing cork so you can make either checkerboard or diamond patterns. At least I think that's where I bought mine. Andy Dear's exotic burl cork works really well for that stuff. If you're talking about wood, that's a whole different issue.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:44AM

RodMaker Magazine has plans for making about anything you've seen on the photo page.

Generally, handles with any type of pattern are created by alternating rings of various materials or wood or cork types . Or, cutting various similial materials and then rearranging them as they go back together.

Some patterns will require a jig to cut your pieces. Others are achieved simply by alternating the materials themselves.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:53AM

Eric,
Here a pix of the jigs (from Custom Tackle) that are used.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

They are cut and glued like this (there are numerous methods of glueong them up) [www.rodbuilding.org]
Feel free to e-mail me.

Like Tom said, Rodmaker magazine has run many great articles on various custom grip techniques. Check out there web site and look up back issues

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Eric Brockman (192.110.64.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:17AM

to Gerry I was talking about cork handles. Tom and Mike thanks for the info. Thanks for the pictures I have never seen those in my rod building magazines. I am at work so it takes me awhile to make a reply.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:35AM

This mag has any new and old ideas. Shows you how to do it all. Get yourself a subscription
[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Check the site, you can also get back issues of things your interested in.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:56PM

Check out the custom handles at Merrick Tackle

[www.merricktackle.com]

Or check in the custom components section [www.merricktackle.com]

Interested in some retail prices, call us at ACK Fishing, Merrick for wholesale customers.

[www.ackfishing.com]

Peter Maltby
Toll Free 866-285-0673

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:09PM

And Andy might have even a better one to cut checker boards. Huh Do ya Andy, Do ya????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 08:14PM by Bill Worden.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster