I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Recommendations Please
Posted by: Andy Woodford (---.sdnglobal.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 05:18AM

Hi there,

I'm looking to build a rod for my brother and am looking for blank recomendations.

His specifications are :-

9' Long; Two Piece (Minimum); Line Weight 8lb; Lure wieght up to 40 Grams; Fast Action.

He'll be using this rod for throwing small bibbed minnows, chrome, and poppers for Sea Bass in the UK.

He wants it to be light weight so that he can cast all day, so am looking for a carbon fiber blank.

I've struggled to find a blank that suits. I've considered some of the three and four piece fly rod blanks, but think that the action would be too slow to make a good spinning rod.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Recommendations Please
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:27AM

Check the CCS Data Site listing the Dan Craft FT blanks or the Temple Fork blanks. These blanks are about as fast as you'll find for 9' fly rod blanks. Email me for further info if you wish.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: March 29, 2006 09:15AM

Stan,

Thanks for the reply, but even though I really like the idea of a multi piece rod, I think that a fly blank would be to slow an action for what he's after.

Cheers

Andy

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:09AM

I can think of quite a few that are fast actioned but they are 8 ft 6 in.,8 ft 9 in, 9 ft 6 in, and 10 ft long. Lamiglas salmon/steelhead blanks that end with a MT (Mag Taper) at the end of the part number.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:29AM

The Action Angle on the blanks I suggested are mostly 70 + which is right in line with the fast spinning rod values shown on the Site

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:42AM

Hi Andy,
You are asking for a blank that is for 8 pound test line and throws 40 gram lures???? Eight pound test line is usually recommended for lures that weigh in the neighborhood of 3/8 to 1/2 ounces and lures that weigh 1and 1/3 ounces, or about 40 grams, usually use line weights closer to 20 pound test. Not trying to tell you what you want but it would sound like your asking for a light rod to throw heavy weight lures. I saw a few St. Croix and G.Loomis blanks that might be what you are looking for but they either are for the line weight and not the lure weight or for the lure weight and not the line weight.
Hope this helps
Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Date: March 29, 2006 11:45AM

Lynn,

Sorry to be confusing. That should have read up to 40 gram lures. Most times lures would be smaller, but at times a heavier lure is required to cast into the wind etc. and he needs a rod that will do this if asked.

Thanks

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 11:35PM by Andy Woodford.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:45AM

Ditto to Lynn Leary - I'm a little confused if not "leery" about a rod that is rated for 8 pound line and able to throw 40 GRAM (1.50 ounces) Lures. ... Was that line rating 8 POUNDS or 8 KILOGRAMS. ... Because, at 8 kgs = ~ (15-20)# line, that would make more sense to our American conventions. It would be a rod that is rated (8kg & 40g) or (15# & 1.5oz) for (Line & Lure). ...

Anyway, you can spool your reel and throw your (40g = 1.5oz) lures with whatever Line Test you want !!! ... It's just that we Americans are accustomed to using the Line Rating as a primary or secondary indication of the rod's POWER, just like we use the Lure Rating in that same way.

All right now, to get to the heart of your matter, Andy Woodford: I think you will find that what we in the USA call "SALMON / STEELHEAD" Style Rod Blanks will give you the LENGTH, TAPER, and POWER ranges you seek. A "Moderate-Fast" to "Extra-Fast" Taper-Action rod blank can be found in most manufacturers Series for Salmon / SteelHead rods.

I believe you & your brother will find quite a comprehensive selection of very nice rod blanks in the various BATSON RainShadow Series designed specifically for Salmon / SteelHead fishing. If I knew what a "bibbed minnow" was, I might be able to say which taper is better, but I don't, so I won't.

BATSON's RAIN-SHADOW Graphite "Salmon / Steelhead" Rod Blanks
Salmon, SteelHead, "Hot-Shot", and Down-Rigger Models
(IST / ISA / SH / HS / DR): [www.fishsticks4u.com]
Most of these Models in all of these Series are available in a 2-piece rod blank. I think you'll find the quality of all the Batson rods and components "top-shelf", and the prices & service at FishSticks4U to be "tops" as well. FS4U is a FULL-LINE BATSON Dealer, so I believe you can order all your components on one tran-Atlantic shipping charge.

Best Wishes, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2006 01:24PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:22PM

Andy,
we have several customers in the UK that I have sold blanks for this application. The magnum taper action is what they are looking for and we offer two models that have fulfilled their needs.

XSH1142MT 9'6" 2pc 8-17lb.

XSH1202MT 10'0" 2pc 8-17lb.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: March 29, 2006 11:39PM

Thanks for all of the help guys,

It's certainly given me some options to consider.

Cheers

Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster