I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Basic question on Forhan wrap
Posted by: David Wells (---.202.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 06:49PM

This may be obvious to some but not me... On a Forhan locking wrap once you do the normal part of the wrap do you then have to cut the thread leading from the spool in order to begin the locking part of the wrap?

Thanks,
David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Basic question on Forhan wrap
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 06:53PM

No. Insert your pull through loop make one turn that does not go over the guide foot but behind it and then three locking wraps and then at least one more regular wrap and pull the tag end through as usual.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 06:48AM

David,

Jims 'right. You can see how to fully do this useful wrap in the library above. It has been very well described and it is very easy to follow. I like to have at least eight turns total over my tag end to make sure I dion't loose tension. I put my pull through in one wrap before I go around the back of the guide before doing the locking turns. If you do too many it can be a devils job pulling through and you may fray or break off the thread. Follow the method above though and I bet you can do it first time around. You can still adjust the guide a tad if you have to as well so don't get worried about that.

Mike O.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (---.lcwireless.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 07:55AM

As you start the locking wrap section of the Forhan wrap, guide the thread under tension around the post and blank with your hand about three times, then regain the tension by rewinding from the spool. You shouldn't cut anything until you're completely done with the wrap.

Jim

Date: March 29, 2006 08:10AM

JIm,

I don't follow you. Could you enlarge here please. I am not fighting you here just trying to learn more as we all make this journey. Now I am wrapping freehand directly off the spool,of thread. When I have put on the turn that goes behind the guide I still have tension on the thread. It is never off it all the way through the complete wrap. I then make the first turn around the ring post and around the blank. This is repeated two more times before I put in the extra blocking wraps. In my case depending on blank diameter and which guide I am wrapping will determine how many blocking wraps. Typically it is at least four . I appreciate that some will do less but I like a few more.

Regards

Mike O.

Posted by: Miie Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 08:13AM

Jim,

Sorry. I am a bit mentally challenged. I just realised what you meant. If you are working with a thread tension device, you got to pull some thread off to make the wrap around the guide post and then you are going to be left with some slack thread you have to re-wind onto your thread bobbin. Dooooh

Regards

Mike Oliver

Posted by: David Wells (---.202.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 29, 2006 09:22AM

Thanks guys, I think I have a handle on it now. Also part of the problem I was having understanding the wrap was that in the library article his thread is coming from above and behind. My thread comes from below and front. Now that I can picture it in my mind I think I can do it.

I really appreciate the replys and the fact that everyone here is so willing to help others.

David

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 10:45AM

I generally don't 'pull off' any thread from the spool when making the locking wraps. Simply 'push' the thread around the ring & post under tension. There should be no loose thread to re-spool onto your bobbin in my opinion.

Jay

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:10AM

Jay's got it. If you use fingers to get the locking wraps over the guide you can get a little less tension. I've been using one of those little hookie things for darning socks, grabs the thread and pulls it over the guide. It can be done without losing any tension.

Posted by: mike oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 12:18PM

Jay and Grant ,
That's the beatuy of this craft. there can be lots of ways to do it and what works for each of us is great. It's nice to learn about each others techniques. Valuable when you come across one which knocks spots off your own.

Regards

mike.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:56AM

The first few times through, you may have a little less tension than you want. After that, though, you'll figure out how to keep constant tension while you're doing the Forhan Wrap. It involves switching from "tension from tension" device to "tension from fingers," back to "tension from tension device". There's no way to really describe it in words. But, you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Date: March 30, 2006 10:56AM

Andrew,

That's one of the reasons I wrap freehand holding 1 oz spools in my palm. I just can't figure much these days

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster