I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix SCII and Pac Bay A5
Posted by: Ian Kiraly (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:03PM

Hey all,

I am going to build a rod on a 7'6" 6 weight SCII blank and am hoping to put chestnut wraps, gold guides, and a gold/walnut Pacific Bay A5 reel seat on it.

Will I be able to recess the A5 reel seat, and if so what is the outer diameter of the hood that way I can get the right cork inletting. Also, can it be installed without recessing into the cork? How would this look?

Thanks,

Ian Kiraly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix SCII and Pac Bay A5
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:43PM

i would check with whom your buying your components from to best match up what your looking for most will and are very helpful .........

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 28, 2006 02:13PM

Ian, PacBay makes preformed grips with the A5 inlet and they also sell single rings with the inlet that you can add to your custom grip. The A5 hood is asymetrical, not round so doing it by hand is possible but more tricky than a round inlet. I've done them by tracing with pencil, then slowly and carefully using a dremel sanding drum to shape the inlet. Lay off the coffee for awhile before you try this. I've done a few A5s that were not inletted, usually on cigar grips where the back of the cork nearly matched the hood diameter. They look fine to my eye but many prefer the hood to be hidden. Matter of personal taste. That 2F766 is a sweet rod, great for small stream smallmouth or streamer fishing in general.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 02:23PM

The RA5 from Batson is the same seat but has a round recessed hood. Might want to grab one of those if you haven't bought your seat yet.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Ian Kiraly (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2006 07:28PM

Thanks all. :)

I'm not really sure what I am going to do yet, I may try a cigar grip and not recess the seat, but I'll check out the Batson.

Ian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster