I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Love Threadmaster, love Permagloss, hate decals
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 09:20AM

I finished my new Rainshadow 843-3 last night - green blank, concept spinning, blue dun wraps w/ gold inlays, no CP, split grip made of improvised parts with decal and signiture on blank between split grips. Following observations:
Love PG - 6 coats gave me that nice light "eggshell" finish that I trust will hold for years.
Love Threadmaster - used it over the decal and signature. One coat covered, penetrated, leveled and looks like water. Interestingly, the decoragive wraps covered by the TM look darker than those covered by PG (neither used CP).
Not so crazy about decals. It's not bad, but you can see one edge of the decal where it went on the blank. I used a coat of CP before finish, but next time I think I'll write everything by hand. This was an adhesive (peel off) decal as opposed to a waterslide; I suspect the latter works a littel better.
I'll get out and do my test casting this weekend and take the rod to a conference I attend the first week of next month. The Pompano also need to be forewarned that I'm coming this summer!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Love Threadmaster, love Permagloss, hate decals
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: March 28, 2006 09:58AM

Marty,Its possible even though you are careful to touch the end of the decal while peeling off the backing.This will sometimes cause it to lift.If you suspect that it may lift is it possible to trim a little off the edge after it is applied to remove the part that was touched.Also roundind out the corners may also help.
for some reason the 90 degree corners like to lift.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 07:04PM

"Waterslide may work a little better" There really is no equating the two. A water slide properly done does not show ANY edge problem. A water slide is easy to use and can be used to display almost anything. Your really should try a couple and see for yourself.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.189.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 08:56PM

Marty , I have "burnished" the edges of stick on decals , along with rounding the edges with a sharp blade , and seldom have any edge problems ....................... I also apply to a base coat of said epoxy .
Have Fun , John . NERBS

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 02:08PM

I have crumpled and in disgust(with myself) more than a couple decals. Biggest problem I have is getting my finger prints on the back side and not being able get them out it not sticking properly there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster