I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tonkin Cane
Posted by: Sean Gould (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 09:08AM

I'm thinking about building a cane fly rod, and am looking for suppliers of tonkin cane. Like most beginners I'm on a budget, so if anyone knows of a rodbuilder that could be talked out of a culm, or someplace that doesn't have huge shipping costs, I'd appreciate it.

I'm in Oakland, CA.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tonkin Cane
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2006 09:40AM

Generally, the raw cane itself isn't very expensive. Try Golden Witch to the left.

Posted by: Sean Gould (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 09:45AM

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

I looked at them first, actually. However they have an $18 per culm shipping charge which seems a bit on the steep side to me. Hopefully there are other sources out there that have a more reasonable shipping charge.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 10:46AM

Actually Sean,
Having sent and paid to receive more than a few rod blanks I can say that
that shipping charge is not to bad at all. Actual costs for USPS is about
$10 to $12 if the parcell is not to long and when you concider shipping
materials, time etc. that right around the ball park.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Grant Fry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 06:18AM

When you consider the ammount of time and effort you are going to put into building a bamboo rod, I would be more concerned that I get high quality material rather than the cost. I actually thought about doing a rod from scratch this winter. I opted to buy three rods on @#$%& and redoing them. They were in expensive and turned out beautiful. It was alot of work, but I think it help prepare me for doing one from the ground up.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: March 29, 2006 06:12PM

Sean,

There are several bamboo rod makers within driving distance of Oakland. I would suggest that you seek one or two out and see if they will sell you some cane. That might cost you some gas, but would save shipping charges.

Harry

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:47AM

Since were discussing cane rods, if you were going to buy a cane "blank" where would you start to find a supplier?

Tim

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:38AM

cane blanks? check in here, familiarize yourself with the community who frequent this place, click on links in posters' signatures. a few post here at RB.org too:

[p205.ezboard.com]

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster