I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming Spey Rod Grips
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:46AM

So, I have a bunch of preformed Spey rod grips that are between 14-16" long and have an inside diameter of .250" or so. I've been able to ream them using rattail files...first chucking them in a drill, and then doing what I can by hand. It works, but takes forever.

I wonder--

a.) Is there a better way to do this than with rattails?

b.) If not, does anyone know of a source for longer and thicker than normal rattails? I use the ones that come from Home Depot/Lowe's/etc. and they only ream out to about .400" inside diameter (whereas most Spey butts are .550" or so).

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming Spey Rod Grips
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 01:59AM

Scott,
Get your self some of what I call cloth backed reamer tape or emery tape.
Spiral it onto a scrap blank section about the same size and the blank
you are building on and epoxy it in place. Better than any rattail file by a
long shot. Flex-Coat make some as do others. You can make several
from 1 roll and they last a long long time!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: March 28, 2006 02:02AM

Will the grit or other abrasive stay put with those?

The reason I switched to rattails in the first place was that I hated ruining an expensive blank when a piece of sand got stuck up in the cork...and then I slid the grip down, leaving a nice long scratch...

I also like the ability to chuck up rattails in the drill and be done in 2 minutes :)

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 02:15AM

The grit stays on the tape! I always blow out and sometime run a cloth thru a grip just because
I'm paranoid but a reamer made with that stuff lasts years without replacing grit or the cloth.
No fuss no muss! I use to use a rat tail file ( still do on occasion) but wondered how I ever got along with out a reamer once I made one!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: March 28, 2006 02:23AM

Thanks for the email...sounds like the solution was only a few clicks away!

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: March 28, 2006 08:00AM

Scott, I use a bottle brush to clean the inside of the hole after reaming and blowing out. Haven't scratched a blank since. And yes, the cloth backed abrasive stays put. I use belt sander belt material for my reamers.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 11:07AM

I learned my lesson with rat-tail files,and refuse to use them ever again....not knowing any different, and not knowing the characteristics of a rat tail file, that they were spirled like a thread-cutting tap, I chucked the file in the drill, and proceded to run the file into the grip and before I knew it, I was in too deep. it jammed, because it was cutting threads in the cork, about 3/4 of the way in. It wrecked the work, as I needed to cut the cork away to get the file back out.
How was I to know that the same file i was using manually, was too big for the bore in the cork, under power. Silly me.
I tried using reverse on the drill, but that was painfully slow.
Works for you. but not me. your mileage still may vary.

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 12:48PM

I did 7 @ 14" Spey fore grips on Sunday morning- these started with a 0.40" bore. To get the correct taper took 4 reamers - always start small and work up to the final taper. Make sure to keep clearing the chips.
We use power reamers made from cut up blanks and the Flex Coat grit strip. Our power reamers are 25" long (we have about 40 of these in different tapers which covers just about all we build) . The best adhevise for the grit strip is contact cement (not the water base stuff). Make sure you spiral the grit on so that it tightens on itself (the direction depends on which way your power rotates) and leave about 1/4" between turns to aid in chip clearance . If you use sanding belt strips use 36 grit - anything smaller doesn't cut as well.
These reamers will last for several years of production use before the grit strip need to be replaced.

Andy Snedden

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster