I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chicago MW Gathering
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 09:44AM

There has been great interest for this gathering to happen, and as a result this is going to happen on April 22nd in Joliet, Illinios at Al Ciner's place.

For each person intersted in attending, it is asked that you contribute a little something - a food dish, few bottles of soda (or pop, is that what you guys call it?), pasta, pork shoulder, baked ziti, wings, cheescake - nothing crazy.

Start time will be determined at a later date, usually the NERBs gatherings run from 9AM until 7PM (8, 9, or 10PM as well, lol) - the time will be determined by the people who have to drive the furthest. I'll let everyone know when we figure it all out.

Topics to be covered - that's up to teh builders attending and what you want to see. Just let us know beforehand so someone is prepared to help you out. Make sure you bring a list of questions, and I'm sure they'll get answerred.

If you or any of your buddies are interested please post here &/or contact:
Al Ciner:[email protected] ;
Jim Rippe: loafers4@earthlink.net;
or myself: vivonab@colsonservices.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chicago MW Gathering
Posted by: al hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 10:23AM

I'll be there, will be traveling from Whitewater WI

Let me know the start time from here it would take about 2 hours to get to that destination.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:00AM

Bummer for me, club tournament that weekend down at Cinton lake. Otherwise would be there.

Date: March 27, 2006 11:22AM

Mike, not a big deal, because based on how many people expressed interest from this area, I'm 90% sure this will be the first of many Gatherings in this area.

If there's anyone else this date doesnt' work for, dont' be shy - let us know you're interested this way when we plan teh next one you'll be included on a direct e-mail letting everyone know what's going on.

Posted by: John Bunner (70.236.21.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:10PM

Count me in! I'll be coming from Indianapolis and anyone coming through Indy is welcome to carpool with me. You can park at my house and we can ride up together. Any idea what will be going on at this meeting? I imagine mostly sharing of techniques,@#$%&-ing, telling stories and what not. Anyone interested in the carpool send me an E-Mail.

John

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 01:51PM

Hi John. Why not bring something for "show and tell" and we can go over different techniques. Remember, this is the first "Midwest Gathering". It's going to be a great time. And it's only going to get better.

Date: March 27, 2006 02:13PM

I would like to see an inlay be done if anyone would be up to showing a fellow rod builder

Date: March 27, 2006 02:28PM

What type of inlay? Guide, grip?

Date: March 27, 2006 03:39PM

any type would be good, i would even bring one along if that would help

Posted by: Joe Barthelt (---.publicisgroupe.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 03:42PM

I would love to see an example of tying off the ends of a butt wrap when you're finished. Everybodys end wraps are always perfectly level and beautiful, and mine look very lumpy and unrefined.

Date: March 27, 2006 04:09PM

I'm sure someone will be able to help you guys with both requests. The more questions you have, the easier it is to put togehter an informative gathering.

So far there are 8 people who have confirmed they are IN. That's an EXCELLENT response.

Date: March 27, 2006 04:17PM

If there is questions like the tie wrap ends, i would like to see a rod taken with guides on it and everyone tie a guide and explantions of maybe where someone could give you ideas on how you culd posibly help yourself in doing the procedure. Maybe this sounds to off the wall but thought i would mention it.

Date: March 27, 2006 04:22PM

Al - that's exactly what makes these small gatherings great - you CAN do exactly that. I find you learn more when you see other people do something ratehr than explain it. There might be the smallest of small details that make the diffrence between a smooth tie off, and a lumpy one - which you NEVER would be able to figure out through a phone call or message board post, that yo "get" when you see it done.

The more ideas you have the better, worst case scenario is you want to see too much, you dont' get to everything, and you "have to" have another gathering in teh future, lol!!

Date: March 27, 2006 04:44PM

Youre exaclty right, with a habit like this there is so much that person wants to learn and not enough time to learn it all when you have experts around like you. One question i had asked here on this board long ago never really got answered, it was how do you figure line weight-lure weight when building a rod, this i think would make great conversation between rod builders.

Posted by: Brian Goodwin (69.88.94.---)
Date: March 27, 2006 04:50PM

I would love to try and make it to this but I too have a tournament that weekend. Please keep me posted of any future events.
Brian

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.ameritech.net)
Date: March 28, 2006 12:13AM

I would be interested in a discussion on Inlays, Marbeling, and the new bumper wrap. I'll bring the first rod I built and have it critiqued. I did a gold leaf inlay on the split grip so if anyone is interested in this techique I will offer some pointers.

John

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.inwave.com)
Date: March 28, 2006 09:02AM

Billy,
I am very interested in attending but I will be in Washington, D.C. with my grandchildren. Please inform me of your next one and I will do anything I can to help make it a success.
Ron

Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 03:55PM

Is this gathering open to all - including those of us from north of the border? If it is you can count me in. Please let me know.

Posted by: Matt Pedersen (---.frg-bsr1.chi-frg.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 01:37PM

Man, I wish I had known about this sooner, but my email has been DOOOOOWWWWNNNNNN!

Unfortunately I have a guide scheduled for that day!

Matt P.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster