I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork inner diameter wider than blank
Posted by: Joe Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 07:56PM

I'm building an ice jigging rod and the tiny diameter of the rod blank is much smaller than the hole in the standard size cork ring. I thought about building up the handle area with epoxy finish in thick coats until it was a snug fit with the cork, but this seems like it would take awhile. I also thought about using some skinny masking tape to build up a couple well spaced arbors and really load the u40 rodbond between them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork inner diameter wider than blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 08:03PM

if the space is not to great you can run thread up and down the blank to build it up

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 08:11PM

Is it a preformed grip? If so it will work, but you just need to encapulate the tape arbors in the rod bond, a bunch of epoxy in between will do nothing but waste your epoxy and add weight. If it's seperate rings and your building the grip than a long lengthwise strip of fiberglass dry wall tape wrapped on the blank impregnated with epoxy will make a good arbor to build up your blank to the OD you need. You can use it also under a preformed grip. Lengthwise paper tape may work if you can encapsulate it fully to keep the water, etc. off it for obvious reasons.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 08:46PM

That is a problem with building ice rods. With the preformed handles I get the hole is only 3/16s of an inch so there is usually not that much to build up maybe 3 layers of tape, and yes you really have to seal them in the rod bond or whatever epoxy you are using to glue everything together or they will fail.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 12:08AM

Jann's Netcraft has cork with 1/8" holes in them that I used for my ice fishing rods, 1/8" was about perfect for the St Croix blanks

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:14AM

What I like to do is to use a sleeve of rod section that is a good fit inside the rings (or preformed grip if that is being used). Sometimes no shimming is required, but if it is, I will use tape arbors as above to build up the blank in 4 to 8 places to fit the sleeve. When it all fits together to my liking, I seal the arbors with 5 minute epoxy and let them dry, then load the blank with rod bond and seat it inside the sleeve. When dry, mount to grip and reel seat as usual.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 27, 2006 11:32AM

What everybody said. Sometimes, your local sport shop will have some donor rods in the back....one nice thing sbout lifetime warranties on rods is: lots of breakers available.
My local sports shop permits me to take away all the broken rods, for re-cycle.
You should be able to find a short section of fly rod tip that will mate tightly with the butt section of your project rod....with a diameter that make your corkwork lass of a hassle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster