I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie needs help with a finishing problem
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:09AM

I'm pretty new at this, I have 5 rods under my belt and was getting pretty confident.
The rod I'm working on was coming out beautiful, Until, I put the first coat of finish on. I'm using lite formula Flexcote. Anyway I put my first coat on and everything is great, I put it on the dryer and go about my day. When I come back later that day I see that my belt has broken and my rod has stopped turning. It must have been almost set when it broke but there is still just a hint of icesicles starting.
I've started wet sanding them down with 600-1500 paper and theyre smoothing out, But am I dreaing, Will this fix it after I recoat it? Should I do 2 more coats after taking down some mil thickness? Any advice will be appreciated.
This is a great forum, And the magazine is also great

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie needs help with a finishing problem
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:13AM

Hi Bill,

You could have uses an exacto knife to cut off the bulges but if you have them down now after using sandpaper you should be able to just recoat them and be all set. 1 possabile 2 coat should do it.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2006 08:14AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2006 08:28AM

Depending on how thick your finish is and how bad he sagging is, you can be a bit more aggressive to start, shaving or cutting them off as Hank suggests, or block sanding with something like 320 grit paper. Once things are pretty flat again, switch to higher grade paper such as 400 or so to smooth the surface scratches. At that point you can recoat and all should be well.

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 04:48PM

Thanks guys, I'll finish up sanding and recoat it

Posted by: rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:18PM

Tom, I tried sanding finish once. The sanding marks clouded up the finish. Thoughts? Maybe finer sanding I am not sure.
Rob

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 26, 2006 06:56AM

I have used 200 grit to sand problems in the finish with no problems. I did go back and wipe it down real good with a clean paper dowel and alcohol to clean the debris from sanding before refinishing though.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2006 09:02AM

Never wipe your surface with alcohol as a last step prior to refinishing.

Sand, dust off with a clean brush if you must, and then recoat. That's all you want to do.

Sanding marks of 400 grit or greater will generally not show through in a recoat.

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 10:37PM

What does the alcohol do?

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 27, 2006 07:15AM

Yeah, I am wonder about your opinion on the no alcohol too? I have done this with no ill effects. Tom, you care to share why you think it is a no no?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster