I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Builders
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2006 09:24AM

After the article in yesterday morning's local paper, concerning the 2007 Rod Building Expo, I got an email from a guy about 5 miles from me. Said he'd been building rods for 30 years but had never heard of the show nor of the magazine.

One more reason why the internet, as cost effective as it is, just doesn't reach the majority of the world's rod builders. Not yet anyway.

This underscores why events promoted soley via the internet don't draw very well. It still takes the print medium to reach the bulk of the rod builders in the world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Builders
Posted by: Ricardo Font (---.emrsn.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:19AM

How about the radio and PBS as a means of reaching farther ?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:47AM

Tom:
There is a Rod Builder In Staley, NC by the name of Bill Poe not far from you. That has been building rods for at least that long who may not even know what the internet is. I will contact him and let him know about the show. He built custom rods for me back in the 80's,and is the person that got me started building.

Posted by: Fred Staley (---.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 11:18AM

You're not the only one Bill Poe got started in rod building ;-)) He explained everything to me back in 1990 when I wanted to build a fly rod to use in the Smokies. Been building one or two rods a year ever since (although this year it will be at least 4 - after my shopping spree at this year's show).

He's one very nice gentleman. Please tell him I said hello.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 11:43AM

I can almost see it now -

Kirkman's Airline Charter Advertising - flying from coast to coast/border to border dragging a long long banner in the sky. Custom Fishing Rodbuilders United! If you used the Goodyear Blimp at a slower speed more people would have a chance to read the text! I you wanted to go world wide maybe we could get Italo to drag the banner across Europe and the Atlantic Ocean for cruise ship coverage behind the Air Italia wide body.

The Swamp Boyz will pay for the air-time over Louisiana if you handle the rest of the nation.

Up Up and Away!

Date: March 24, 2006 12:43PM

I've known Bill for many years. He does know about the show and the magazine, but is interested in neither. He's a professional builder and builds to a certain level for a certain clientele. New techniques and methods don't interest him (or many others). He has his market and is happy with it. Nothing wrong with that.

My point here is just that I think too many companies bank on the internet as their sole means of advertising. They're missing at least 60+% of the market.

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 03:46PM

I sent a hot link about this years show to the Cleveland Plain Dealer outdoors writer D'arcy Egan. It was sent about 3-4 wks. in advance of the show.
Evidently he thought it pertained to cars, or was it grease ?
Next year I'll try the Akron Becon Journal, I think their outdoors guy has more on the ball.....

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: March 24, 2006 04:00PM

I hear you Tom,
My greater customer base doesn't even own computers. Then again a couple ads on the tube placed at the right time and places and I wouldn't be able to contend with demand.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 04:01PM by Wylie Wiggins.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:03PM

Tom:
Now that I think about it you are dead on about Bill. He has developed quite a following over the years. They are happy with his rods and he is happy with them. The only change I've seen him make in the last twenty years is to switch to St Croix blanks from Loomis. I'll tell you though, I've won a lot of money off rods he's built for me. Still have 2 one of which is at least twenty years old. A little beat up now, but still caches fish.
It was Bill that introduced me to spiral rap rods back in the 80's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2006 10:05PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: March 25, 2006 08:47AM

Bill has been building rods for at least 30 years now. The first Poe rods I ever saw were in the fishing department of JC Penney's at the Westchester Mall back around 1977 or so.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an1.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 11:51AM

"I've known Bill for many years. He does know about the show and the magazine, but is interested in neither. He's a professional builder and builds to a certain level for a certain clientele. New techniques and methods don't interest him (or many others). He has his market and is happy with it. Nothing wrong with that."
Tom, you have absolutely mastered the "backhanded compliment."

Date: March 25, 2006 05:16PM

It wasnt' meant as backhanded in any way. I do not expect every rod builder to want or even need what RodMaker offers. If 2 out of every 100 buy it, then I'm right on the industry average. In fact, that's about where it is.

Bill has no interest in RodMaker or rod building shows. Considering what he does and what he wants to do with his rod building business, I see no advantage to be had by him by subscribing to the magazine or attending a rod building event. I don't try to sell people something they don't want or need.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.197.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 25, 2006 09:57PM

What about ESPN on TV ? Would be some thing to have them cover the show ??
Then we could watch the reruns

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster