I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

infrared lamp and epoxy
Posted by: terry truong (---.dsl.okcyok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 04:51PM

This may be a strange question. A friend asked if using an infrared lamp for a short burst would make the rod wrapping cure and attain full strength, rather than waiting for 24hrs. He is a dentist.

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: infrared lamp and epoxy
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2006 05:10PM

No, our epoxies are not like his UV cured adhesives - I assume he understands that you have to have a an adhesive that is made to react to that sort of thing for this to work. Heat will accelerate the cure, but it's only going to halve the time per every 20F (approximate) increase in temp.

The new Diamondite finish is extremely heat sensitive and a standard 100 watt incandescent light bulb about 15 to 20 inches from the wrap will cure it in about an hour.

Posted by: terry truong (---.dsl.okcyok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 05:20PM

Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:21AM

Terry, I can understand a dentist asking this question. Here's what I believe was on his mind. Some Asian rod manufacturers use a one part finish which I believe is called "UV curable" It looks like any rod finish like flexcoat, yet after applying the finish the rod is "Passed through" a light box. The light box has an "Ultra Violet" bulb that will cure the finish in about 10-20 seconds. I have one myself, only use it for emergency repairs as the cured finish has little flex and can blister on the rod. Surf shops sell a similar rpoduct for repaing surfboards. They have UV lights that are hand held, about the size of a carton of cigarettes or smaller. After applying the epoxy, the "wand" is hovered back and forth above and the finish would cure within a minute. I've tried this as well but this epoxy never cured properly for me, always was a slight haze to it. The dentist also uses adhesives like this when doing different jobs. I guees he could insert some sort of dental work, shine the light and with a fast cure he does not have to worry about an alignment shift.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:54PM

I think that you need some clarification on his question. It is true that most dentists are familiar with UV cure products. if, in fact, he was asking about UV - you have your answer. Your initial question was about IR not UV. Not the same thing. To most, a common IR source that a layman would think of is a heatlamp.

Posted by: Grant Fry (170.54.58.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 04:14PM

You are right Bob. UV curable coating are being sold now. Using rapid bursts of UV, you can cure them in seconds. IR is at the other end of the visible light spectrum. It can produce a very intense heat, expecially in organic materials. Both systems can be used to get rapid cure, but with that rapid cure you are going to loose the flow and leveling that leads to the smooth glassy appearance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster