I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Must a float rod be fast action?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 04:47PM

I was pouring through the search feature on drift rods and found an interesting response that I can't seem to no longer find again. I believe someone wanted to make a float rod out of a 12'-13' 6wt blank. Another rodbuilder responded saying that this particular blank wouldn't make a good float rod because the tip was soft (slow action ?) thereby making line mending and hook setting somewhat of a problem.

The 2 piece St Croix 13' blank is listed as fast action , and everyone's favorite 2 piece 13' Forecast is listed as moderate fast. All of the ratings I've seen so far start at slow, moderate, mod-fast, fast, & then extra fast.

What action does a float rod really need to be? And what would be the difference between a fly, spinning, and spey blank if all had similar length and line/weight ratings and were all moderate-fast blanks? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Must a float rod be fast action?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 06:02PM

Since there is no set definition for any of those discriptions in the industry, you get what the manufacturer describes it as, same ithe lure weight and line specs. The CC data system is the only thing I've seen that gives me a definitive answer.
Right now a fast or extra fast fly blank is in the range of a mod fast spinning blank and that is a moderate bass blank. Confused yet? LOL.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:09PM

It also depends on how much line is out, the specie of fish you are targettng, and where. In the East, where the rivers are slower and narrow, they use "noodle" rods and very light tippets.
In the West, where the streams move quicker, and a typical drift is longer, with more line in the water, it's hard to get a good set with a wimp rod.
And an 8 pound tippet would snap real fast when attached to a wild summer run Skeena River steelhead.
A typical west coast float rod would have been a 9'6" 10 weight flyrod, lengthened to 10 plus feet.
Once the rod factories started to catch on, and make "dedicated" float rods, they made them 10-11 feet, and about an 11 weight flyrod rating. Now, with the CCS format, it's hard to say who's doing what.
One maker's heavy is another's medium. etc.
I know this doesn't really answer your question the way you'd like. But it's still a matter of working out all the variables where you fish, and for which specie.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 01:52PM

Tim,

Like the previuos posts have stated it all depends on what the manufacture calls it. Converting a spey rod into a float conversion is perfectly fine. In fact around the Great Lakes it's becoming more and more common. Usually these type of rods are used for larger river systems such as the Big Manistee, Niagara, etc. These rods are able to handle the large amound of weight that's required to cast the bait out in to the far seams.

To answer your question about all float rods being fast action. That's not the case. I think the faster action is a trend most of the manufactures are taking (higher modulus graphite). A few years back slower action rods like the Hardy, Sage GII, and St. Croix SCII were the main rods beiing used. All of these rods used either a lower modulus graphite or a combination of glass and graphite. Hope this helps.

Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster