I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mid-Western Chicago Gathering
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:32PM

Down in Charlotte I spent some time with Al Ciner & Joe Emig, both were interested in setting up a gathering in the general area of Illinois/Indiana. I knew Jim Rippe was also from that area, as was Kevin Pittman - I figured what the heck, let's set up a Gathering!!

Woudl anyone be interested in this? Nothing formal, leave the suits & ties at home - just a fun hang out session somewhere in this area, sometime in teh future. I'm trying to see what teh interest level is in this area, and if we should make plans to set something up. I have a place we could meet, but if someone has a better idea, please let us know.

I've done several of thee gatherings up in teh NY-Mass area, and cannot tell you waht a benefit they've been for me. Not that I learned everythign I know about Rodbuilding, but the friends I've made have really made coordinating these gatherings a worthwhile endeavor.

Eitehr post here you are interested, or shoot me an e-mail (please dont' just shoot me, that would hurt)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mid-Western Chicago Gathering
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 02:14PM

I would have some interest in this. I am just outside Chicago in Aurora, Illinois.

Mike Sledden

Posted by: Al Ciner (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 02:20PM

Mike , Send me an e-mail. That goes for anybody else that might be interested.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 02:44PM

I was contacted that a group from the North, up near Minnesota may swing down with a carful of guys.

The ball is rolling. Please contact Al Ciner, as he's been kind enough to offer his shop as a meeting place.

Posted by: al hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 02:55PM

Please post the time and place when it is known, if nothing else going on would be very interested in attending. Mike, maybe we could meet somewhere and car pool im in whitewater wi.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 03:22PM

Hey Billy bob. lol I have already contacted Al. Mike Barkley, just move closer please.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 03:29PM

I would be interested but it depends on the location.
I live in Western Kentucky.

Lynn Williams

Posted by: Grant Fry (170.54.58.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 07:52AM

I would be interested depending on time and location. I am making the transition now from building rods to using rods. By mid July, I'll be heavy into the salmon slaying season.

Posted by: Kevin Pittman (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 07:56PM

I am definately in! Looking forward to meeting you guys.

I also have a few friends that are interested

let me know place and time ideas

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:10PM

Al,

You know I'm in!!! Hope you have a BIG shop!!!! You feeding everyone???LOL

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:56PM

My gosh. I think this one is getting really big. But thats o.k. I think the Mid-West can out do the Nerbs. Now thats cool.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:05AM

Very good response!!! Were gonna work out the logistics and post again in a few days. So far about 15 people have responded with interestlet's see what happens when an actual date and site are set.

PS - if you are interested, please feel free to make suggestions. I have no idea how far people are willing to travel, nor am I familiar with that part of the country so I have no clue how far Chicago is from Minnesota, or Kentucky. All it takes to put one of these together closer to where you live, is a few guys and a place to meet. Only way to get a place to meet - is to open up YOUR shop to have the gathering there.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 04:37PM

It would be great to see this come together. All it takes is someone to take a risk and open their "shop" or home, and others to help by attending, and helping out with food or whatever the host may need.

The last Gathering I had in MA, I had at least a half dozen builders that traveled between 2-4 hours to attend. None seemed mind that sarifice in order to hang out with a bunch of other bulders for a day of sharing information and techniques.

Posted by: Al Ciner (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:04PM

Mike this is going to work. My home is open to all who wish to attend. We'll have a date soon. Could be the Midwest chapter of NERBS?

Posted by: Ryan Rossiter (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:43PM

I would be interested as well. Living in central Indiana, my pref would be to keep it out of the Chicago. Getting in and out of Chicago is a pain.

Ryan

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:20PM

I'm only two to three hours from Chicago so I would love it, just let me know.

Posted by: John Bunner (70.236.21.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:21PM

Ryan-I live in Indy. Whereabouts are you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster