I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GLX underwraps
Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:55PM

With some of the recent discussions on underwraps I have a question. Does Loomis still require the use of underwraps for the now re-released GLX blanks?

I built my first rod on an SJ783 GLX blank in 2000 and under the advise of the rod-builder I bought the blank from and was tutored by back then - I underwrapped the guides. While fishing with it yesterday I began to wonder if I should rebuild it without the underwraps this time around to increase sensitivity. I have built many rods since then so my technique is obviously better. If Loomis doesn't require the underwraps I might just check out the difference... it's the only GLX I have built... might be an interesting experiment if Loomis still honors the warranties without underwraps.
Chuck Ungs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GLX underwraps
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:52PM

Best bet is to call or email Loomis and ask. The orginal requirement for underwraps on GLX blanks was not for the reason that most thing. The blanks didn't actually require it, but the factory did due to poor guide prep from builders they had no control over. It was a "fail-safe" intended to cover those few who didn't do good guide prep. In the end, they found that it didn't make any difference. But again, contact them and ask.

Date: March 20, 2006 02:04PM

That was my more educated guess Tom. I know my ability and knowledge to prepare a guide foot is better today than when I started - and I suspect I'll be able to lighten the guide system I had originaly used as well - think it should create a more responsive rod in the end - not that this one is a slouch now... but better is gooder :) Chuck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 02:05PM

I've three GLX rods none are underwrapped. One is a steelhead rod, a 4 power popping rod, and a 6 wt fly rod. It might have been the flipping sticks or something heavy powered that I haven't seen.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 03:10PM

I have built 2 rods from GLX blanks. I'm positive the GLoomis warranty card referenced adding underwraps for the first 30" of the tip section only. I didn't put the underwraps on but I know my guide feet were very smooth underneath. I'm not the least bit worried about it.

Date: March 21, 2006 03:00AM

Thanks guys - was it just the fly rods that required the underwraps and my friend got it wrong - or was it spin-jig blanks as well? Seems to me with the expediter service you would only be in for $50 either way... correct? Chuck Ungs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2006 03:04AM by Chuck Ungs.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:22AM

The way the G-looomis GLX warranty card read around 2000 indicated that you needed to wrap the 1st 30" from the tip to make the warranty valid, this was more than likly guide foot prep oriented. Strangely you did not have to underwrap fly rods and possibly others it was more oriented to shorter 6-7' casting and spinning rods for Bassers who swingem' on board. When I called G-Humis back then, they only told me fly rods did not require them and that is what I was mainly interested in, there could have been other exceptions then and their policy mutated further now to not requiring them at all.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.ded.btitelecom.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 10:00AM

From G Loomis FWIW:

"G.LOOMIS “Xpeditor” Program

A broken rod will never keep you off the water again. With the G.Loomis Xpeditor Service you can get a brand new rod to replace a broken one, delivered to your doorstep in as little as two days. Even if you’re on a trip away from home (anywhere in the U.S.). No questions asked, no waiting around for warranty claims, and it saves you the usual hassle and expense of packaging, insuring and shipping your broken rod. Plus, you avoid any and all fees for rod repair.

Here’s how it works. Contact our Customer Service Department (1-800-662-8818) and request the G.Loomis Xpeditor Service. Pending stock availability, we will ship you a current replacement rod via standard ground delivery. Then when you receive your new rod, simply remove it from the shipping tube, place the broken rod into that same tube and affix the enclosed, pre-paid shipping label on the outside of the tube. Once you hand off the package to your delivery agent, you’re done and back on the water. The cost: $50 for standard ground delivery in the Continental U.S. or $65 for 2-day service, Alaska/Hawaii or one-piece rods 9’ or longer. Just charge it with your Master Card or Visa. Demo rods, pushpoles and reels are excluded from this program. It’s faster, less expensive and more “user-friendly” than any other option available (except maybe avoiding breakage altogether).

G.LOOMIS LIMITED WARRANTY

G.Loomis rods, custom rod blanks and Syncrotech fly reels are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner. GL pushpoles, Venture (Adventure) fly reels and GL fly rod outfits are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one year from the date of purchase, sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

Ship the damaged rod or reel in a disposable container, prepaid and insured, along with a check or money-order for $20 to cover return shipping and handling for each claim in the U.S. If the shipping length is 9’ or longer, the shipping and handling fee is $30. Send directly to:

G.Loomis, Inc.
Warranty Service
1359 Down River Drive
Woodland, WA 98674

Should damage occur due to defect, G.Loomis will, at the company’s discretion, either repair or replace the product at no charge. Damages occurring due to neglect, accident or normal wear and tear will, at the company’s discretion, be repaired or replaced for a specific fee. A full estimate will be provided for your approval before any repair work is initiated.

In no event shall G.Loomis, Inc. be held liable for incidental or consequential damages due to breach of this warranty or other warranties implied by law.

Some states do not allow limitation on how long an implied warranty lasts nor do they allow for exclusion of incidental or consequential damages; therefore , the above stipulated limitation and/or exclusion may not apply to you.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

If you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at 800-662-8818, ext 256.

Tight lines,

Fran Hansen

Customer Service

X256"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster