I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Fuj Ti / SiC. What models would you use?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.ssmb.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:10PM

I am building 5 rods.
9', 9wt CTS Maxim
9', 9wt Dan Craft FT
9', 9wt Dan Craft Sig V
9', 7wt Dan Craft FT
8' 9", 6wt Dan Craft Sig V

I am leaning towards the Fugi Ti frame, SiC rings throughout for the Dan Craft 9wts because they can - most likely - handle the weight. Comments more than welcome - this will be my first project and I would like to see opposing views - not based on cost.

I will probably use REC single foot RECOILS for the other rods. If the Fuji's do not work out, per above, I will go REC single foot throughout.

Questions:
1. Should I use the new Fuji "j" (Concept) guides (TLSG) that will hold the line a little more away from the blank, or the older style (TSG)?

2. The strippers in Ti only go up to #16. Most of my factory rods (exxept Winston) use #20.- Does the up-to-date reasoning accept this smaller size? And, The Dan Craft blanks can handle a 10wt line - what about the #16 then?
If too small - my only option is to use the SiC gun metal casting guides (NSG) which I can get in #20. However, Fuji literature says to only use up to #16 for stripping guide. What is that all about?

3. I saw pictures of the Titan single foot Ti guides. I liked the fact that they had a little "barb" on the foot to create a little more holding power under the wraps. Perhaps can do without the Forhan locking wrap. But the Fuji's looked to have a better finish. Comments???

4. The Fuji Tip-Top looks awfully large. Is it really as light as a traditional Tip-Top?

This site is, by far, the best rod building source for info. Thanks to Tom and all participants.
What is a joke is that I thought this hobby would save me $.

Herb Ladenheim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Fuj Ti / SiC. What models would you use?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 06:24PM

I have the stainless framed, Ti coated Forecast guides on my 10 wt Dan Craft Sig V, it handles them just fine. That's the guides Dan suggested for this blank. If you go with the high frameTSVSG guides as your first two I don't think you need a 20 ring. Probably don't in the first place. I don't like the barb on the foot as they get in my way of making a smooth, no gap wrap. I always grind them off. I like the short, thin feet on the Fujis also.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.77.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 09:29PM

I would use a ring guide on any of them for better performance.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.153.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:15PM

Spencer is right on with the high framed in a 16 for the 1st stripper , as you will likely have a large dia. reel in that wt rod . For the comment on the rod "handling the weight" of the Ti/SIC Fujis , you will be amazed how light those guides really are , providing you are getting the titanium frames . You will also be impressed by the reserve power , and casting chariceristics of Dans blanks. I , as Bill stated ,would use ringed guides on every one of the rods mentioned . I have not built on any of the CTS blanks , but I did get the privlege of casting a 6wt ,9' , at the Charlotte show . Complements of Andy Dear. It was a very nice casting rod , not as fast as I like a 6wt , but it was nice .
"J" framed concept guides in the Y framed SFoot are a bit higher than the single framed . I only put one or two in , and I've only used then with Alconite/steel frames as a bit of a step from strippers to running guides . I actually like the look of them . The Concept guides also have a longer foor , which requires more wraps/ epoxy = weight
REC Recoils would be my first choice ( in the heavy wire) if I were to use wire for the running guides ,though I will always use a ringed top (if the ring size is available) or a coated top . Recoils are plagued by noise complaints , which in my oppinion aren't as bad as some say . I've used recoils on the lighter wt rods , nothing over 6wt if my memory serves me .
Titans ...... I just bought my first set in Charlotte , and have yet to use them . The "barb" was addressed by Spencer , I do the same on Pac Bays that have tha "arrow head" shape to the feet . I ALWAYS use a locking , or blocking wrap ........ again , depending on size . The Forhan locking wrap is great insurance for the bigger wts , on boats with under gunnel tubes , they are a must .
Depending on what size running guide you have up to the top , and what lines and knots will be passing through ,any titanium framed top that you can find with the ring size you need will work . I have a problem finding tops with rings larger than 8s , in tube sizes 5 , 5.5 , and 6.(whigh is usually tip size on the rods you are describing). REC make a large ring on the Recoil top , which is very light , but not the prettiest thing to look at , but very functional .
You must have done your home work to have such a good selection of blanks ............. save money ? Not using Ti/Sic , but you will see a BIG difference in casting/ shooting in the higher wts . You will NEVER go back to wire
Have fun , enjoy the Dan Crafts ,
John Dow
No. E. Rod Builders

Got Fish ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.220.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:26PM

I have used the American tackle Titan guides. very strong, light.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster