I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

no lathe
Posted by: Jared Funt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 05:30PM

I dont own a lathe and jerry-rigging grips onto my drill gives only marginal success. Is there a cheap way to rig up a lathe. I dont want to buy one, as I only make a rod or two every couple of years. has anyone had luck in this department?

thanks for any input.

Jared

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: no lathe
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 06:58PM

If you are only doing a couple rodsa year you really do not need a lathe. I have built at least 10-12 in the last year building solely by hand. All you need is a couple V-block Stands.

Do a search for hand wrappers / or V blocks

Look for this in Library at top THE EASY TO BUILD ROD WRAPPING JIG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2006 07:19PM by Barry D Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 06:59PM

The Grizzly Lathe from Grizzly Manufacturing using a drill as the power head is the least expensive and practical that I know of.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.254.137.103.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 07:23PM

Yep Jared----

Been there-Just as Stan posted above. The Grizzly is the least expensive way to go for the amount of turning you want to do.Rod building is only a hobby for me and only turn a few grips.So when Mike Barkley posted a photo of the Grizzly lathe,I went ahead and orderd one.I am very happy with it and you can set it up as a portable unit.
You will have to have some kind of mandrels.You can go to left to the sponsors and click onto Lamar Fishing and order from him or you can use threaded rod.

If you want to see what the Grizzly lath looks like, go to the top of the page and click onto photo and scroll down the page to the photo of the Grizzly.Or you can log onto them at www.grizzly.com.

Hope this will help and good luck.<<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 07:28PM

Jared; did you mean a Rod machine for wrapping or a lathe for turning grips ?

Posted by: Jared Funt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 10:26PM

something for shaping cork and EVA

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 10:59PM

Jared,

If you have a variable speed drill, there is a very inxpensive way to fashion cork grips using all-thread or cut-off steel rods and bronze bushings or bearings to support the opposite end of the mandrel. I'll try to get some photos in the next day or two to give you an idea how I got started with shaping cork handles/fore grips. It's not ideal but it works..

Stan

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 11:16PM

You might like this idea [www.peninsulaflyfishers.org]

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.82.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:57AM

Check out the photo page under Equipment. There are a few home made using drills. Might give you some ideas. The grizzley is pretty inexpensive.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 06:33AM

If you do the Grizzly, try to determine in advance if your electric drill will fit the Grizzly drill holding collar. Mine did, but the keyless chuck didn’t fit through so I have to remove my chuck and re-install each time I use it. Or, buy the Grizzly electric drill that fits.

The Grizzly lathe was a step up from the home made lathe I was using. Andy Dear’s mandrels are also highly desirable to use with the Grizzly.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 11:51AM

For the few grips I turn, the Grizzly is EXACTLY what I required. Along with a set of Andy's mandrels I feel like I can turn just about any grip I want. The beauty of Andy's cork also distracts away from any mistakes that might be made when turning!!!

I mounted my Grizzly on a simple saw horse. I can pick the entire unit up with one hand and take it where I want it. This is useful as I like to turn my cork outside so I don't have to deal with the dust.

The Grizzly is simple, economical, and very effective.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster