I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polyurethane or Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil?
Posted by: Ron Delesky (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 02:33PM

I am finally at the stage to apply a finish to two bamboo fly rods, but still haven't decided on which one to ultimately use. The rods are a banty and a SB 359-9 that will receive a new reel seat, grip, and guides. A wipe-on polyurethane or Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil seem like the easiest as opposed to a spar urethane. However, what could I utilize to thin a spar varnish to make it a wipe-on to aquire the benefit of UV protection? Any input regarding experience with these types of finishes would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polyurethane or Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil?
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 04:08PM

I just finished re-finishing 5 bamboo rods, 2 with Tru-oil and 3 with Helmsman Spar Urethane, not thinned, both applied using my fingers. The Spar looked good after 2 coats and it took about 5 coats of the Tru-oil to get the same look. Polished both in between coats with oooo super fine steel wool. I have refinished lot's of gunstocks with Tru-oil only and never had any problem with any fading due to sun so I don't think you have to worry about UV protection with either the spar or Tru-oil.

Bob

Posted by: Tim Hough (68.36.47.---)
Date: March 19, 2006 05:24PM

I've used both Spar Urethane & Tru-oil. The Spar is easier to apply (fewer coats) and has that nice, shiny look. For me, Tru-oil never attained that same glossy shine, but stayed more matte in appearance. I have come to prefer the Spar. You can apply it almost anyway you like and as long as you don't slop it on, it will give you a nice, even, glossy finish. Again, the Tru-oil looks nice but for me stayed more matte and took several applications (also easy to apply).

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.85.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 05:12AM

Varnish.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 02:26PM

Someone on the bamboo site indicated that they add 25% spar to tung oil, which sounds about right. I greatly prefer Wipe on to Tru-oil or spar. It takes more coats of Wipe on [5 to 8] but the finish is gorgeous. I also finish the wraps with the Wipe on.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 03:35PM

To John. The discussion was at classic fly rod forum under restoration, then Tung oil topic. Reviewing the thread, some folks use 1/3 spar, 1/3 tung, and 1/3 mineral spirits. One fellow uses 1/4 spar to 3/4 tung and driers in an unspecified amount. There is a picture of a rod finished with tung to give you an idea of how that finish works. Wipe on poly looks the same. There is also a discussion of Penetrol as a thinner. Don

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.146.68.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 06:06AM

A dipped varnish finish is by far the best. Varnish is the traditional finish. If you would like some hints on a cheap-effecient dip tank that you can make for less than $10.00 email me privately @ mrparramoure@yahoo.com. A dipped rod would have been finished by now! End of conversation, Do-Wa. Brushing, finger applied, cloth wipe on, all leave marks. Lines that you will see. Even dipping can be tricky, but it is much more even.

Tight Lines to all ~ ~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster