I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rodbond
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 12:35PM

I know that you are not supposed to use the syringes and cups that come with kids medicine for thread epoxy due to silicon release.

What about rodbond? I have so many of those damn cups lying around that I was curious?

Also, do you have to be as precise as with thread expoxy?

Thanks

Ernie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rodbond
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 12:42PM

You can't use syringes with rod bond. Just take a popsickle stick and put a glob of each in your mixing cup. Just eyball the amounts, they don't need to be exact.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.3.28.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 12:52PM

Rod Bond is the easiest stuff I have ever used. Just put roughly equal gobs of each part on a piece of foil (they were using little pieces of cardboard at the U-40 booth in Charlotte) and smear them together, like you are buttering toast. In just a few seconds the colors will blend.
The only trouble I have is knowing how much to mix. I usually end up with too much, and I hate wasting it.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 01:15PM

I'm like Steve..........Rod Bond is great stuff.......My wife likes it because I don't ruin so many Tee shirts, shorts and sandles.........I am going to try something that I have not got around too yet........Put the Rod Bond into those squeezable ketchup, mustard things you find at restruant. Cut the tops so that they are the same and squeeze them out equally. May be more trouble than it's worth. I always seem to mix to much as well.
Have a good day,

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 01:46PM

John, Steve,
I always wasted a lot too until I realized that as long as it takes to set and just how little that you need to use, I could just mix VERY small amounts and if it wasn't enough, just mix a little more! Like most, I didn't realize just how little of this stuff you need to use. After watching Ralph Oquin at two shows, I now just use enough to "wet" the surfaces to be bonded.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 02:40PM

I wouldn't use anything that might have EVER even thought about being near silicone. Rod Bond is amazing stuff, and it might be OK. But, I'd hate to take the chance that my reel seat might come lose in the middle of a fight with a fish, just because I had silicone in the mix.

Rod Bond is the best stuff to come around in a long, long time. I eyeball small amounts with popsicle sticks. However, if I'm needing more than just a little, I use metal measurement spoons (of the sort that you buy for measuring ingredients for recipes). You can pick these measurement spoons up at the nearest Wal-Mart. I could probably get by with eyeballing bigger amounts of Rod Bond, but I get a little worried that I'll be off by too much, so I use the metal measurement spoons.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 02:52PM

Rod Bond works well in large veterinary type syringes. While it is forgiving and easy to mix using most any method I prefer to keep mine in syringes and find it very convenient.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 03:43PM

Thanks guys,

Andrew - great idea on the spoons - I'll just take mine from the kitchen. Noone will notice..:)

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 04:17PM

Look around the house/shop/barn for things that need fixed if you have a little Rod Bond left. I have always found things such loose draw handles, broken dishes, loose handles, etc to fix, even had to mix up a liitle more at times to take care of everything. There was a post some time back about fixing a coffee pot. By the way I have even found Rod Bond to be dishwasher safe.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 04:20PM

Good idea Bob, but the wife may think I should do that all the time......Good idea though.......

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.63.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 04:36PM

Yep, it is still working stopping that leak on that coffee pot. Been heck maybe two years now, heck this old I for get ?? Long time any way

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:08PM

I think if you put it in squeeze bottles, you will end up wasting quite a bit of it...until you decide to take a razor to the bottle and scrape the Rod Bond out. This stuff DOESN'T flow. Sure you'll be able to squeeze some out, but before long the sides of the bottle will meet and you can't sqeeze any more out (and there will probably be plenty left in the bottle).

You also don't need to use measuring spoons. That is just something else you have to clean! You will have to use a measuring stick to mix it with anyway so why not use that same stick to dig it out of the containers with? I usually use one popsickle stick by breaking it nearly in half leaving me with one short stick and one long stick. I dip the short stick in one bottle and I dip the long stick in the other bottle. Then I mix them together with the longer stick. NOTHING to clean up! I also keep all the shipping boxes that I receive supplies in so that I can cut them up and use then as pieces to mix my Rod Bond on. Works great & everything is disposable.

There is NO need to get elaborate with Rod Bond.

I think we have to be so careful with everything else we do that it is hard to understand just how easy Rod Bond is to work with. It really is easier than you might think.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster