I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Addiction
Posted by: Jeff Hanlon (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 07:58PM

I have read many posts describing this condition, and I thought the need to add my comments.
I am hooked!!! Like a bucketmouthed bass swollowing a jerkbait whole. Like a 25 pound King Salmon slamming size 4 streamer out of pure aggression. Like a big brown slurping up a nightcrawler drifted deep in a hole. I say HOOKED!
I have finished 3 fly rods and reconditioned 2 casting rods and have 3 other projects in the wings, all since Jan 27. Sad thing is I am not sure I'll get much of a chance to do some Great Lakes Steelheading with all of this rodbuilding going on.
I am not a custom rod builder yet, just an assembler at this point. I hope to some day be half as talented as many of the folks on this site. I would like to give thanks to all. Those who are new like me and those who are truely experts who give so much of themselve and their expirience to those of us discovering this ADDICTION. Your input on "fuzzy" thread wraps saved me a ton of time and also tought me a thing or two about attention to thread detail.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Addiction
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 08:41PM

Jeff, its not an addiction. I consider it a sickness, and I'm just tring to get well. So,today a weave pattern shows up in the mailbox, sidetracking me from my resin casting project, so I quickly glued up the cork trim rings for the fighting butt on the 9wt, set up for a 53 thread silouette weave and I'm 123 passes into a 220 pass pattern (Wonder Weavers are sweet!).

Mike O' Seady (lol)

North East Rodbuilders

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.109.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 08:54PM

When you get to the point where you can't sleep because you are thinking about what the rod you just ordered all the parts for is going to look like , it's time to seek professional help . Things like 3 dimentional butt wraps ( like the chess game on Star TRek) type of thoughts constitute a higher level of help , it will eventualy lead to OCD ........... calling and buying every color of thread that Maderia has to offer , even the nasty lime greens . I have seen it progress in some of the builders I've had the pleasure of being aquainted with for a few years . It's not pretty . Jeff , cancell your credit cards and pay with cash for the first 20 rods . Have fun , John NERBS

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 10:04PM

John, the first layer of the 3D StarTrek Chess wrap is done. This is going to work out nice!!!

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.83.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 10:54PM

Is it star trek or star wars ? I knew you would find a way to figure it out . I want to see it in April ........

Got Fish ?

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.83.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 10:54PM

Is it star trek or star wars ? I knew you would find a way to figure it out . I want to see it in April ........

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 19, 2006 12:07AM

Jeff,

You need to set up a bank account now earmarked for the 2007 International Rodbuilders Symposium in igh Point, NC in Feb!! That is the Ultimate high for a rod building Junkie!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 06:13AM

Mike, it's a "symposium now?" For only $8? Do we have to rent tuxedos?

Date: March 19, 2006 01:52PM

Oops!!! " Exposition"

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 03:04PM

Mike (et al),
Besides the symposium/exposition in Feb 2007 is there a list of rodbuilding shows that a new guy could look into while waiting for the next 11 months to slip by? And thanks, everyone, for all the great information on this site as well as the information in RodMaker. My wife is already lining up some doctors.

Clyde Thomas
Baltimore

Date: March 19, 2006 03:45PM

Clyde, You need to repost your question using you first and last name as it will be automatically removed as site rules require full name. As far as I know, there are noo ther shows in your area. There is nothing quite like the BIG show!!! Go to the directory at the top of the site and find some builders in your area. Most love to get together and help others.
I tried to e-mail you, but your address is hidden.

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 05:41PM

Mike, obviously I'm new to this link, will learn all the rules soon enough I suppose. Thanks for the tip regarding reaching out to some experienced rod builders in the area... I've looked, there are a few listed.

Clyde Thomas

c_thomas_48@msn.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 06:03PM

There is no cure for this addiction! I'm glad cus I don't want one either!
Only thing though, I have found myself at times wrapping when I should
be FISHING! Got to find some way of putting on the breaks and leaving
my rod dungeon more often! Maybe when the weather gets better the
addiction will loosen it's grip on me! If it does not I will concider myself
completely lost! Building, crosswraps, weaves, feather in-lays, marbling.
I fear after I get my hobby lathe and learn to turn handles and woodwork
I may slip away and never return to the world of the "normal people"!
I have at times wished that this site would crash! Oh no! god forbid!! As I
am almost as addicted to www.rodbuilding.org as I am to rod building
and rod art!

If it was not for a full time job at which I am economicly forced go to 4 days a week
I'm sure by now I would be gone gone gone and lost forever into this world that
I wish I had traveled to long before I did.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 08:11AM

Yeah, we know....and you'll enventually recondition your reconditioning work.....I promise.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 20, 2006 10:35PM

"WARNING: Rod-building, and day-dreaming about it,
can become habit-forming, and may be hazardous to
other relationships. Participant discretion is advised."
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster