I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

scuffing finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:16PM

I just finished scuffing the finish on my wraps with a scotchbrite pad in order to apply flexcoat light over regular build flexcoat.

The scotchbright pad left a grey residue on the finish. What is the best way to clean the residue to best prep. the finish for the second coat?

thanks. Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: scuffing finish
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 12:32PM

DO NOT clean with anything other than blowing off the loose residue. The apparent scratching will vanish with a new coat of finish. NO SOLVENTS!! If this is hard to believe set up a test on a scrap and see for your self.

Date: March 18, 2006 03:31PM

Thanks Bill, but I'm not merely talking about the appearance of the scratches in the finish, but rather a good bit of powder-like resdue the pad left behind.

When I cut a thin strip from the pad for easy handling, it looked like the thing was smoking as all kinds of dust/residue was cast off. I believe it is the same dust that is now on my finish. Blowing it off doesn't remove it all.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 05:16PM

I've scuffed my share of finish with gray Scotchbrite, Gary. It's never left a gray residue that an artist's brush wouldn't just dust off. I suspect that your finish wasn't completely hardened or that it wasn't going to harden completely?? That's my best guess, Gary.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:23AM

Are you using scotch bright pad or an off brand?

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 06:56AM

The gray scotchbrite pads will leave this residue. Do what putter suggests, and just brush it off with a dry brush. I've been known to just brush it off with my finger, but that introduces more oil on the hardened epoxy. I guess you could also brush it away with a dry piece of coffee filter or some such thing. What you're seeing is scotchbrite residue and little bits of epoxy that you're scratched off. There's no real problem, and realistically, you could likely just coat right over the residue and it would likely disappear. I'm like you, though. I like to get it off.

Like they said above, don't use a solvent to wipe it away. That'll introduce a whole new set of problems.

Date: March 20, 2006 07:04AM

Steve, I used an off brand. I tried both autoshops near me and the hardware stores and could not find the Scotchbrite. I'll order the SB on line to have them on hand.

I removed what I could with a brush and was surprised that what I was seeing disappeared when I applied the finishing coat!

Thanks again to everybody that helped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster