I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turbine powered flocking gun
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 09:08PM

I found this in a google search and thought it might be another option for those of us who might have a turbine powered HVLP gun but not a compressor. Check it out: [public.graco.be]. I will have to see if I can find a price on it somewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turbine powered flocking gun
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 09:39PM

Dean this link has proved to be very curious to me. When you go the the Graco site their definition of their market is fluid spraying. I initially thought that the gun you posted the picture of was a paint or chopped glass spray gu. There is no infomation on the site that I can find that explains the details of the thing but if you enter "flock gun" in their search window the picture you posted comes up with a definition of flocking gun posted. If you look on the back end there is an air connection - looks like !/4 inch so this thing may also require a compressed air sourse. I use the Donjer air assisted spray system very successfully but if this gizmo would be designed to permit use of the Donjer flocking fibers in an air free system I certainly would like to take a look at it. If you can find any more information on it please send me an email.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:23PM

Bill,

It would not be airfree, but would not require a large compressor. In case you are not familiar with a turbine, it is a lot smaller and basically a glorified shop-vac motor that supplies air to the HVLP gun. I emailed GRACO for more info, and I will check in with my paint store tomorrow to see if I can find out anything else and will let you know.

Posted by: Joe Preast (---.221.141.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 09:20AM

We use HVLP guns in my body shop for spraying. HVLP is HIGH VOLUME- low pressure. A small air compressor will not supply the volume of air needed for the gun to spray properly. It does operate on low pressure, but a lot of volume is needed. HVLP's use different air fittings and special regulators to work properly. The gun pictured is a siphon feed cup. It will have a harder time picking up thicker materials or flocking particles. A gravity feed type gun with the air cap or nozzle (whichever it uses) changed to a larger orifice would work much better and would work with a somewhat smaller compressor. I have all kinds of guns and just purchased several flocking kits at the RBO show. After I get back from my drum fishing trip on the outer banks I'll do some experiments and post the results of which guns work best and what compressor sizes would accomodate this type of work. This turbine style gun must have something to increase the pressure somehow. Some sort of spinning vanes or blades that are helping to increase the flow. Not sure without actually seeing one. I'll see what I can find out about it also. Hope this helps.
HAGO!
Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster