I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pulleys for lathes and drying stands
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:39PM

Where can you purchase the thin pulleys you see on lathes and dryers? I'm sure some of the sponsors carry them, but I've been unsucessful at finding out who. Thanks.

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pulleys for lathes and drying stands
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 02:34PM

Not sure what size you're looking for but Home Depot and Lowe's have the little replacement pulleys found in the windoor/sliding door hardware section. I think they're actually for the tops of screens and come with a spring loaded strip in the pacakge - the nylon pulleys are 1/4" wide and 1" in diameter.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 02:52PM

Jay, I have run into the problem of finding pulleys for the dryer motor setups, in my situation I have two motors setup on one shaft, with one motor at 40 rpms, and the other at 185 rpms. All the shafts had 1/4" diameter, so I made my own. I have a 7x12 metal lathe, and made mine out of round plastic /nylon shafting. I cut them to the size, I needed and used a round nose bit to cut the belt way groove. I also increased the 185 rpm motor by using larger round stock and now the motor is stepped up to about 210 rpm. I just used rod bond to glue the pulleys on to the motors and the jack shaft, and connected them by use of a round vaccum cleaner belt used to run the carpet brushes. A person could also do the same using aluminum, or mild steel for the pulleys, I also am in the process of adding another slower motor by the same means only mounting on the opposite side of the jack shaft, using the same belt. I made the brackets to hold the motors out of 1/4 steel plating, and screwed them on to a 2x 12 plank which is clamped to my work table and extends into my heated drying box, to speed up turning time. It would be nice if I had the means to photo it and put it on the photo page. But I don't have that capability. But in other words, any machinist can do this for you with a minimum of cost.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:52PM

I found out about these here and used them for my dryer. You have to get some O-rings to fit but they work really well.
[www.herbach.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 04:10PM

Doesn't that comp. have a $25.00 minimum purchase? if anybody is going to order I could use at least 6-8 . and split shipping!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 04:56PM

Jay;
Are you only going to use them as rollers? I found a Flex convayer with Plastic rollers that will hold a O-Ring for use as a roller

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:18PM

Yep just looking to use them as drying stands for blank support. I always see setups using these thin pulleys, but am not exactly sure what they are. I sometimes see them refered to as 'aircraft' pulleys I think. Thanks for the help.

Jay

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:20PM

The idler pulley from Herbach & Rademan might be just right. I need a couple more 3rpm motors from them anyway. I didn't even look on their sight for them.

The 40rpm motor I got from them works good so far.

Jay

Posted by: Bob Shaughnessy (---.138.240.220.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:54PM

try any local pool store, just bring in the old one to size it. Most carry an assortment of O-rings that work just fine....if still having trouble send me an email i may be able to help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2006 05:56PM by Bob Shaughnessy.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 09:20PM

Thanks to all.

Jay

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:15PM

Thanks for that link Gerry!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: March 17, 2006 10:26AM

Raymond, I've had that one bookmarked for some time now...yet I didn't think about them for the pulleys I'm looking for. Check out their selection of electric motors. I got a 40rpm from them that so far is doing well as a finishing motor. So far I've even dried two IGFA 50 rods on it without complications. I also have two 3rpm motors that I haven't used yet. They will be used in conjunction with these pulleys if I ever decide to get them. My plans are to build a four rod dryer so I will be ordering two more 3rpm motors from them plus the idler pulleys.

Herbach & Rademan seems to be a good company from my limited experience with them.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.89.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 10:33AM

The ones Gerry showed you are good. O-rings you probably can get there also or at Home Depot pluming Department fauset repair o-rings.
The screen door wheels have bearings in them and can be used for lath or wrapper.Two different sizes.

Posted by: Justin Buchanan (---.egsd-adj-i1000-01.bridgeband.)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:36AM

Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instruments has a great web-site for precision for a wide array of small precision machine parts. Check it out.

[sdp-si.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster