I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water Thin Adhesive?
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 12:22PM

Yesterday I bonded a cork grip onto a fly rod and apparently too much of my Rod Bond was pushed down the blank. The result is that the top ¾” of the grip is not bonded soundly to the blank. There is a bit of a gap and that section of the grip ticks when I squeeze it. So I’d like to dribble some type of watery adhesive down the top of the grip before applying my winding check. Any suggestions for this application?

Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water Thin Adhesive?
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:05PM

Stay with the Rod Bond and push some under the tip of the cork with a tooth pick. Work your way around the cork/blank junction. Any damage to the cork at the junction can be covered up with a winding check. You want just enough under there to anchor the cork.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.mmm.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:08PM

Jeff,

Most of the standard cyanoacrylates are fairly low viscosity, but they don't tend to be good void fillers. A superglue gel could still be injected and would be a little better filler material.

Pushing epoxy in is a good idea if you can work it in deep enough. Another option would be to glue in a thin shim around the radius for back-up support. Depending on the gap, a plastic the thickness of a credit card might work..... you don't want to use anything that could damage the blank.

mark

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:23PM

Try getting as much rod bond into the cavity as suggested above then wrap some
paper around the blank to the thickness of the void and then slide the paper into
the void much like a bushing. Not the best fix but it works.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:29PM

If a few wraps of nylon guide thread, like a trim band, can be jammed in there like a shim band, that would be sweet. Dribble in any watery cyanoacrylate "crazy glue" and it will hit the nylon, wick its way into the crevice gap, and give you a rock hard weld that won't click or budge - "garonteed" -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:32PM

Instead of the problem being "apparently too much of my Rod Bond was pushed down the blank", It sounds as if you needed a bushing at the upper end of your grip. I might would try regular thread finishing epoxy. Mix 3 or so cc's and hit it in the microwave for 3-4 seconds. Draw it out with a spare syringe and gently place it in the void. If you have a syringe with a needle, so much the better. I would think this will stop your clicking problem.

Jay

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 06:12PM

Jay, he could do the same with a 30 minute epoxy like Devcon, 24 -TOn - one of those. I would think that is a better choice than a finish? I havent' done this before, so I'm guessing. I would think Rod Bond is not a good choice for this, since it doesn't flow. I'd use the flowing glue, and stand the rod upright, making sure NOT to put too much ahead of teh grip sinc eI know it will climb up teh front of the grip and potentioally make a mess.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 09:23PM

Good advice Billy. Your choices are more sound than finishing epoxy for getting a good bond.

Jay

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:03PM

The flex coat rod builders epoxy will flow right in there if the rod is stood up in the corner.Just make sure the grip is centered first.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:30PM

Wallys World carries a five minute epoxy, that has a thin nozzle you attach. When you depress the epoxy syringe, it forces it through this nozzle which mixes and then squirts it out of a tiny hole. One time use per nozzle, but they give you two per syringe. I have successfully used this to squirt epoxy into small or tight fitting places, and it has held up well.

Chris

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.89.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:03AM

The Devcon that Billy mentions is very good epoxy and is thin to flow into the handle.
Suggestion: next time don't make the handle so tight as to push the rod bond out,

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.89.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:04AM

The Devcon that Billy mentions is very good epoxy and is thin to flow into the handle.
Suggestion: next time don't make the handle so tight as to push the rod bond out, and twist it on and off several times to make sure it is in all of it.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 05:51PM

Thanks to all of you for the overwhelming response. As noted, the gap was very small, maybe half a millimeter and maybe less than one ring deep upon closer examination. So I drizzled some head cement down into the opening. It was a fresh bottle so very free flowing, so the minor gap filled easily and firmly. All I was after was a filler, as this area of the grip won’t get much abuse. I usually adhere my nickel silver winding check with a ring of five minute epoxy. That will surely seal the deal on the end.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.208.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 11:52PM

Jeff , try to apply the Rod Bond on to the blank well above where the grip starts to contact the blank next time . As you lower the grip onto the area with the glue, the grip will still be somewhat loose on the blank , allowing the glue to cover the inside of the grip completly . A little bit of spinning as you push the grip into place will ensure complete coverage . It's a bit messy , but thurough . Have fun , John NERBS

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 06:24AM

Thanks John, That's exactly what I do, and did on this rod. But apparently not quite enough was left behind. And I believe I may have over reamed at the top of the grip. Things happen....

Jeff

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: March 18, 2006 09:07PM

To check for over reaming and the possible need for a bushing simply lay the grip beside the blank where it is intended to reside. Mark with a pencil or a piece of tape the upper edge of the grip. Then invert the grip and slide it down the blank backwards. If it falls below your mark, you know you will need a bushing and you can fit one at this time.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster