I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Here it is......................
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:14AM

Just after the recent and highly successful National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte, NC, I saw the need to make some changes for the 2007 event. The Convention Center in Charlotte is certainly a nice facility, but the continued rising costs of renting the hall and having the reception there was plainly an obstacle to the continued growth of the event. A suggestion was made that in order to cut costs, we drop the RodMaker Reception and reduce the number of seminars to just a couple or three. I wasn’t interested in doing either.

So a search for a new facility began. A few good ones turned up and they were affordable, but in almost every case, they weren’t located near good hotels nor restaurants and would have required folks to rent a car or travel some distance from their lodging to the event facility.

For some reason it just didn’t occur to me that my own home town, High Point, would be a good location for the event. I wasn’t sure people would want to move an hour north to a town most probably haven’t heard of. Then, Rodney Powell, who has helped in the Mickel’s Custom Rods booth the past 3 years, reminded me that High Point is already home to one of the largest trade shows in the world - The International Home Furnishings Market. Twice each year, over 100,000 people descend on the town to view the furniture offerings from the world’s major furniture makers in some 2700+ showrooms and convention halls. If the city could handle that, it couldn’t possibly be a big deal to handle 1500 rod builders! He’s right - the city of High Point, NC is uniquely qualified to host the largest rod building show in the world and can do so easily with the best facilities and most user friendly atmosphere we could find anywhere. I should have thought of this sooner. My fault.

So, this morning I spoke with the folks at a local facility. It's perfect and they want to "make this happen." Thus, the even now named The International Custom Rod Building Exposition, will be held at the famed "ShowPlace" in downtown High Point. Directly across the street is a 4-star Radisson Hotel with restaurant and lounge. Parking at both facilities, along with two city owned parking decks one block away, and hundreds of additional parking spaces down all adjoining streets, is free. The city is served by Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO) about 8 miles north. Intestates 40 and 85 run north and south respectively, of the city. In short, it is an easy place to get to and a very inexpensive place for vendors to display and for builders to find lodging and food services.

The ShowPlace makes the Charlotte Convention Center look like a dump. Sorry to use that word, the Convention Center is actually a nice place, but not compared to the ShowPlace. Not even close. And yet, we will reduce the daily admission fee for the 2007 event. Vendors will find their booth fee reduced and their freight handling charges reduced or even eliminated. The Radisson will offer a comparable $89 room rate for those in town for the show, and two very nice but lower priced hotels ($50/night) are within 4 blocks of the ShowPlace. There are a handful of restaurants downtown. Shopping is plentiful, although it’s located mostly a couple miles north of the downtown area.

Moving an hour north of Charlotte changes very little for anyone. Those traveling from the south will have to drive an hour longer. Those coming in from the north, an hour less. From the east or west, almost no change. If you’re flying, not much difference. All in all, this new venue will provide us with a facility that is much better suited to what we do and for various reasons allows us to reduce costs for everyone while still making the show bigger and better. I’m really not sure that there is a better place in the entire country to do this sort of thing. It was under my nose the whole time - maybe that’s why I missed it.

In addition, the City of High Point Convention Bureau is going to work with us in getting shuttles from the airport to the Radisson and other hotels. They will also help in advertising the event to the regional market. They want us here and are bending over backwards to make things easy on us. We never got this type help in Charlotte.

In short, the show just got a really huge boost. Full details will be on the new show website which I’ll unveil in about two weeks. You’re going to like what you see. Most of last year’s vendors have already told me that they’re in. Plus a few new ones want in. The seminar line up will be larger and better. The RodMaker Reception will also grow (how about 2 Renzetti lathes as door prized this coming year?). The 2007 International Custom Rod Building Exposition will dwarf last year’s event. It’s the biggest and best thing to ever happen to custom rod building. Wait and see. This is a major upgrade in every way.

One last thing... The Fly Fishing Show has asked to possibly tag along with us for 2007.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here it is......................
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.209.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:24AM

Wow, sounds fantastic !!! Think I'll need roller skates to see it all ?? LOL Got to check out the trains

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:40AM

"In addition, the City of High Point Convention Bureau is going to work with us in getting shuttles from the airport to the Radisson and other hotels."

That is key for me, and probably many others.

ICRBE 2007

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:49AM

Tom!
That really sounds great and that photo looks super.I was thinking about missing 2007 show but I guess it will be 3 in a row. I better start saving now.

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:51AM

We think that's great. Any move toward the Great Lakes is good!!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:51AM

I just tried to make hotel reservations!! They don't have the block of rooms for the show in their computer yet. They said in about a month! I'm not antsy!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.90.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 12:34PM

From a vendor's standpoint this is certainly a move in the right direction. For me, lower booth costs means we'll probably adda fourth booth.....which means more inventory on hand for you guys to get a hold of.

Andy Dea
www.lamarfishimh.com

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.3.249.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 12:36PM

Sounds great, Tom!!! Can't happen soon enough!!

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:40PM

Outstansing Tom!! Keep up the awesome work!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 02:03PM

An hour closer!!!!!Great job TOM!!I`m sure we will find something to do in town if we have to.What are the dates so I can claim the time on the calender!!!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 02:40PM

Only 11 more months! LOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 04:07PM

going to start a seperate account for the show, My girlfriend wants to ride down on the Train and back. Also now can carry Blanks Back on the Train

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 04:11PM

OH, GREAT!!! Isn't High Point like the "furniture capitol" of the world? Now my wife is going to make me drive a U-Haul to the show.

Posted by: Joe Preast (---.221.141.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 04:24PM

Tom, does Kryptonite have any effect on you??? Just curious. This is really some great news. I was extremely impressed with the show this year. (my first) Everything was so organized and ran so smooth. To think its going to be better is mind boggling. Smart move for the fly fishing show wanting to tag along. Being in the antique business as well as my body shop I'm constantly at shows, seminars and a ton of subscriptions to reading material. This board, the show and by far the magazine are 1st class all the way. Just dont tell me you hold down a full time job outside all of this. LOL! Keep it up.
Thanks for everything.
HAGO!
Joe Preast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2006 04:30PM by Joe Preast.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.8.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:53PM

Andy
All you need is room for garbage cans ??? LOL How many cans to a booth ?

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 06:30PM

I think you made a great move taking it to High Point. Now the question remains about whether you are going to offer tours of your shop. That and where is a good Lexington-style BBQ place in High Point.

-John

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 07:12PM

Definitely a great move! My wife approves also and wants to go as well. We're looking forward to another great event. Fantastic move, Tom.

Stan

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup6.community-web.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 07:15PM

John,
Lexington is only 20-25 miles south of High Point on I-85. Maybe we can get up a shuttle everyday at lunch, or maybe Wayne Monk will consider setting up catering for the event at ShowPlace each day. Honey Monk's is my favorite place in Lexington. Good stuff. Ask Billy V. Even a NERB from the "Big Apple" knows good barbecue when he tastes it. The best redneck candy ( pork skins ) in the Universe.

Posted by: David Wells (---.202.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 07:44PM

Way to go Tom, this sounds like a positive move. See you there on '07!!!

David

Posted by: David Wells (---.202.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 07:44PM

Way to go Tom, this sounds like a positive move. See you there in '07!!!

David

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster