I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

End cap weights system
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 06:29PM

Interested in trying out a system like the screw in weight system that BPS and Cabelas use for their high end rod systems. Question - does any of the sponsors at the left carry something like that? Not just the weights itself, but the metal cap that allows the weights to be screwed in.

Any drawbacks on these that anyone knows?

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: End cap weights system
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2006 07:58PM

Only drawback is the extra weight it adds to the rod. Balancing a rod is something that has to be carefully considered. Sometimes it helps in some others but harms others.

I am not familiar with that particular weight system, but know of one other than tends to rattle and "clink" a bit when the rod is cast or moved. That might be a drawback if it aggravates you.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 08:10PM

We've got them by Fuji. No rattle or loose parts.

Here's a link to the page on our site --> []

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 08:14PM

Mo, Yes I have used them a few times , I like how they work. Add different wieght discs as you need, also comes in colors, so they dress up the butt.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 08:58PM

I know what you're talking about - have both seen and used them. There are a couple of ways to address "balance" one is "shape a weight" inserted into the end of the rod blank another is high density metallic tape (sold by at least Merrick Tackle). Of course once they're installed or applied you don't get to "play" with the balance. As Tom said earlier - it can also depend on what the rod is going to be used for too. If the rod is going to be used for light biting bottom fish in fairly deep water (say black sea bass over/around wrecks) you might prefer a "butt end heavy rod".

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 10:48PM

I have used them on several rods, and will continue to do so. I like very much what I can accomplish with them and being able to play around with the weight until I get exactly what I want. The only draw back for me is that they will loosen up during the days fishing,. So you just need to periodically check them and tighten them back up so they don't fall off on you while fishing.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 02:19AM

I just drill and tap a hole in the butt cap, then thread a large screw in for weight. The last was a MH jiggin rod. 5/16th round head machine bolts have slots large enough that any coin will do to tighten and loosen. The high tech plastic butt caps I make are not hard/brittle, so easy to tighten them snug. They will not loosen during use. Just use of different length screws can be used for weight balancing. Still looking for stainless or brass.

Most functional for quick adjustments. Complete assortment available at any hardware store nationwide. Cheap, fast, easy = practical.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:03AM

Greetings,

THANKS to all who responded. Apparently there are many solutions.

However, I like the Cabelas system for its elegance and easily adjustable amounts. It looks like it belongs to a high end rod to my eyes. Any other suggestions?

THanks,
Mo

Here's the link:

[www.cabelas.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster