I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using CCS data to convert fly blank to spinning.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 02:55PM

If I tested a St Croix 13' 3 pc Avid Fly 8/9wt Spey blank and it had an ERN of 9.05 (72 pennies), using the CCS lure weight formula to convert that ERN to the upper and lower limits, it comes out to roughly 3/32 oz - 3/16 oz. However, one of Tom's responses said to use the line rating as the numerator and 16 as the denominator - I wind up with a lure weight of 9/16. Which way is more accurate and would this 8/9wt Spey blank make a decent float/drift rod? I really want a 3 piece and the choices appear limited. Thanks.

*********************************************************************************

Re: Lure weight vs. fly line wt. ????
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2005 07:33AM

There is no conversion from fly line weight to pound test - they're different things. Fly line weight is weight, not break strength, so the closet you can do is convert it to casting lure range.

Make the fly line number your numerator and with the denomator as 16. That will give you, in ounces, the casting lure weight. Or something fairly close. Keep in mind that commercial fly line number ratings are mostly subjective and not based on any particular standard or criteria. The same rod could be labeled as a #5 by one company, and a #6 by another and they'd both be correct.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using CCS data to convert fly blank to spinning.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2006 04:37PM

The ERN doesn't give you a line weight so I'd stay with the high and low the equation gave you. The line weight thing is fine if you have a line weight rating (but owing to the fact that not all fly rod manufacturers rate their rods the same way, this is only a starting point). However, because of the length of that rod, I suspect it could easily handle casting a half ounce if required.

I would try a salmon/steelhead blank if it were made, although your spey rod might actually make a decent float rod.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 05:08PM

Im not really sure about all the CCS data as Ive just been reading it all and trying to soak it all in. In saying that the rods I built in the early 80's for steelhead fishing were all built on fly blanks. There were no "steelhead rods". My favorite was a 10' 6" 7 wt lamiglass. Maybe some of the forum users will remember the big bell ferrule which was glued on seperately? They worked great for me, cushioned light line briliantly and had the right lenth to keep the line off of the water. The only thing was that you couldnt bully fish and make them do what you wanted them to do. I also built a loomis 9' 11/12 mega which was I was told by Loomis to be the same blank as thier 4 power steelhead rod. That was quite a few yrs after the lamiglass days though. I would say go for it. Youll probably find that it works out ok

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:01AM

Tim,

You could consider a purpose built rod blank for float fishing. The UK has some of the very best float rods in the world . !3 feet is a good length and one with a hollow tip would suit more situations than spliced solid carbon tips. Cheaper and better than a fly blank. A top line float rod blank should be had for under $150 Look at Harrisons Advanced Rods in the Uk. They have a web site. Good rods. The GTI blank in hollow tip. is the one to look out for.

Mike O.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 16, 2006 12:51PM

(Fly Line Weight) / (16 ths) = ( Wt / 16 )-ths ounce Lure Rating
That is as convenient as it gets,
and close enough for the majority of cases,
especially considering that line & lure ratings
are actually slightly arbitrary to begin with. -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster