I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flocking Fibers
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:09PM

While feeding my addiction (mentioned in an earlier post) I acquired
24 pieces of flocked grips in black and brown and when I got them
I thought they felt funny? It had been a very long time since I held a
flocked grip but I new there was something about these grips that
didn't seem right! Well, I found that SwamplandRods had a couple
of flocked grips sets available and since Bill Stevens does the
seminars on flocking I knew I could not go wrong there and bought one.
THANKS LANCE!! (got 3 pieces for what I paid for 24!) Well, the 3 piece set is just what I remembered it should be SMOOTH! and comfortable!. (of course! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!) The other 24 pieces were done with a much longer fiber and as my wife puts it, are HAIRY!

My question. Can the flockin fibers be cut or shaved? If yes, how? I tried
using an electric razor and that seemed to work some but I thought I better
stop before I ruin my razor!

If not, does anyone want a set of Wolf Man grips?

Thanks in advance!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 11:17PM by Raymond_Adams.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flocking Fibers
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 06:32AM

I remember Bill show some long fiber type grips that I thought were nive and felt good.Maybe not as long as yours.I inquired about this and he said he does not carry the longer fibers because you need the electrostatic application gun to apply.That was the gun that Ralph O`Quinn had.I actually could use sone long fiber flock for an experiment I got on the shelf but cant see spending the $$ for the electrostatic gun.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:52AM

The longer fibers provide a better grip, but do look a bit "fuzzy." I doubt you could shave them down uniformly enough so that you'd be pleased with the resulting appearance.

You can apply the longer fibers with the hand flocker, if you wish. I would reserve them for the larger trolling and boat rod grips, however.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:53AM

Thanks Fred,

After some thought I figured the electrostatic process had to be used to produce these "hairy" grips and maybe my original assesment of
the quality was a bit inaccurate.

Following Billy Vivona's suggestion in another post. When I get home today I am going to attack one of those grips with a file, razor, sand paper,
pumas stone, and anything else I can think of until I answer my own question! Heck, destroying one grip to gain knowlage will be worth the effort!

In the interum, maybe somebody has some info about those fibers that would be helpful!!

I'll post my results from the attack!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:54AM

Tom,
We must have been typing at the same time! LOL!

These are cigar spinning and fly rod type

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2006 09:56AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 08:01PM

During the flocking workshop in Charlotte a lot of people had the opportunity to directly compare grips with different fiber lengths. It was concluded by most that the long fibers have a definite advantage pertaining to grip security on the foregrips of heavy duty boat rods. It is a more comfortable and secure surface when a fisherman is involved in fighting a large and powerful fish. The longer the fiber the more important the strike angle is when the fiber is applied. The electrostatic unit orients the fibers for this type of grip application better than the other methods. Italo Busi posted some pictures of the foregrips referenced above on the photo board.

For other types of rods fly, bait cast, spinning rods the shorter fibers may be more appealing and will certainly provide the long life desired. Correct application techniques using the canister or the spray unit will produce a quality grip using these fibers.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 09:58PM

What are the actual lengths of the "shorter" and "longer" fibers? I just ordered one of the closeout kits from Bingham and am not sure what length fibers it came with, hopefully the shorter ones.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2006 08:33AM

.04 and .10 I believe. Neither is particularly long, but one is longer than the other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster