I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with CCS system
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:33PM

I did a check on a fly rod that I built three years ago. It took 75 pennies and has an AA of 65. The 75 pennies works out to a line weight of 241 grains. What I cannot figure out is the ERN value for this rod. It feels like a fast rod when I cast it which is pretty close to what the AA tells it is. It is supposed to be a moderate to fast blank and an 8 wt.

I also did a CCS check on an Allstar IM6 rod that I had just finished. The blank was labeled 7 wt. The DBI=7.53/60 making this rod an average 7 wt. with a moderate action. No problem there. I used the table to figure that out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with CCS system
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:06PM

Use the Rosetta Stone chart to find the corresponding ERN figure. Do not convernt penny weight to line weight - that won't work. Also keep in mind that the manufacturer line rating is just a subjective rating based on what the designer intended the rod to be used for. The ERN is a relative power rating.

The AA of 65 simply means that is it faster than rods with lesser AA figures and slower than rods with higher AA figures. Remember, action is where the rod initially flexes,

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:34PM

Thanks Tom. I was looking at the sample table that only goes so far instead of the Rosetta stone. The ERN turns out to be 9.38. Maybe that is why I have had trouble feeling this rod load with an 8 wt. Tomorrow I will go to the gravel pit and try it with a 9 wt. line.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2006 08:27AM

You can load it with an 8-weight line, but you'd probably have to get a lot of that line past the tip. The designer probably intended it to be cast and fished at very long distances. This is quite common with most of the heavier line weight fly rods these days, and in fact, for the past decade or so.

With a 9-weight line you'll be able to load it at shorter, probably more common casting distances.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster