I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OUT-WRAPPING RE-VISITED.......
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 02:40PM

I am in awe of those that can produce to the standards demanded by the companies.
(sidebar: Americans are the most productive workers in the world, followed by Canada, then the rest of the planet.)
I tried speed-wrapping, and quickly determined the 'holes in the dyke'......it's the start and finish. Starting; getting the wrap begun at the correct distance from the guide.
Finishing: getting the tie off loop in place quickly, and pulling through. The actual wraping part goes fairly smoothly.
If they are not trade secrets, I'd love to learn how the out wrappers conquer the start/finish challenges. Best, KD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OUT-WRAPPING RE-VISITED.......
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:14PM

I don't out wrap but imagine practice practice and more practice......

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.130.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:49PM

ken

If you go the Northwest rod builders gathering in Woodland next month I’m doing a talk and demonstration on outwrapping. It's easier to show you then to tell you how I do it.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 06:33PM

I watch Thomas last year in Woodland- this guy is fast!!!!

Andy Snedden

Date: March 14, 2006 06:44PM

Thanks Thomas, for the heads-up RE the Woodland venue...but I'll have to pass.. to fly is over 1000.00 from here, and to drive is 18-20 hours. Regrets. KD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 06:45PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 07:40PM

out wrapping ... Mike Carlson ... Feb. 16, 2006 ... 17:59
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"I was curious, what is the going rate for people who out wrap rods for the larger companies? I was also interested in how the procedure goes when you wrap rods for the companies? I tried to search the site but couldn’t find anything. Thanks in advance for the info. Mike Carlson" ...

This Thread contains specific details on typical pay rates from manufacturers, volume / turn-around expectations, and comments from seasoned professional out-wrappers, such as Mr. Tom Thornhill himself. Without being methodical & fast, this is a tough row to hoe. ... To not learn what you can from this Thread is like re-inventing the wheel. ... IMO, -Cliff Hall+++

Date: March 14, 2006 10:14PM

Cliff: does it mention in that thread how they start and stop. Thanks...kd

Date: March 14, 2006 11:03PM

KD - Didn't you read what TFT and I just wrote ?

Thomas F. Thornhill:
"It's easier to SHOW you than to TELL you how I do it." ...
Thornhill wraps well over 500 rods in a typical month.
That's ~ 5,000 rods per year.
TFT wraps more rods in one year
than most rod-builders do in an entire lifetime. ...
"When E.F. Hutton speaks, people listen."

CMH: "To not learn what you can from this Thread [www.rodbuilding.org]
is like re-inventing the wheel. ... IMO, -Cliff Hall+++" ....
Read it for yourself, Ken. ...
or ... Go ahead. Re-invent the wheel for yourself, if that's you.

Ken Driedger ... April 5, 2005 ... 10:56AM ...
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[An American business man said:]
"If a Canadian had invented the wheel,
he would have dragged it here on a sledge to show it off."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 11:39PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: March 15, 2006 01:21AM

Cliff. Thanks for the lead to the thread where my question was not answered....evidently I'm not the only one who cannot read. You either missed or chose to miss the part where I wrote I was unable to attend the Woodland gathering.
I respectfully asked you if the answer to my question was in the thread.
I did not see it there. I'm not sure what prompted your rather dissapointing reply .... but I guess you have your reasons. ...No worries.... you calls them the way you sees them....permit me to do the same, won't you?
I have no desire to out wrap. I have a desire to improve my skills. if I could start and stop a little quicker, I could say I could do it and take more pride in my work.
If I left the impression i wanted "in" on out wrapping....oops.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2006 02:45AM by Ken Driedger.

Date: March 15, 2006 11:48AM

Hi, Ken - Yeah, I was a little cranky last night.

Other than "practice, practice, practice", as John Blair said, I can't imagine how someone could wrap at several times the speed of the average bear. But that is what any professional out-wrapper would have to do in order to survive in that market.

Ken, I DID think that you were serious about wanting to become an out-wrapper yourself. That is why I was so perplexed by your questions, and why I was so insistent on referring you to "The Pro." ... I couldn't understand your casual level of motivation.

Out-wrapping sounds like a good way to earn additional income during retirement, but a gruelling way to earn a living as a sole source of income. And unless one lives close to a rod factory, and can safely pick up and return 100+ rods in their vehicle at a time, every week, it seems utterly impossible.

I don't even use a power wrapper, so whatever I would say about starting & stopping wraps would be next to useless for high-speed work. All I know is that what works for low-volume hand wrapping does not transfer well into the techniques needed to achieve proficiency at high-volume / high-speed power wrapping. ... And everybody's lathe and tensioners, etc would be a little different anyway.

It's a little like typing. ... Some people can easily handle 75+ corrected words per minute for hours a day. ... Not me, it's more like 15 cwpm, for 20 minutes at a time. ... When working with a rack of test tubes as a chemist, that's where my cerebellum is much faster.

-A Dios, Ken, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Date: March 15, 2006 12:08PM

Rodger that, Cliff..... The way _I_ was calling them required a few edits, as seen below my post !!!! LOL.....
The closest I've seen to quick-wraps was the teaser on a Sage factory tour/rod blank promo video.
I also do the manual thing, but because I'm self-taught from way back when, my threads are fed from underneath the wrap, not coming over the top.
This, the result of my automatic (natural) "twirl" direction....hands moving up and away from me, from bottom to top, not hands coming down towards me, from top to bottom. I do not use a jig. I use two small steadies one each side of the chair, set at an angle, so the thread can come in, and slightly rub against the last wrap, to let the new one settle right in nice and close. I guess the steadies could be classified as a jig, though.
This may be part of the start/stop challenges. I can still rough in and align 12 double footed guides and a top in under an hour, which would be painful for a pro to watch, but quick enough for me.
Best, KD

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 05:42PM

Ken,

I would highly reccomend Ken Preston's DVD then. Not the one on blue water fly rods, his first one. He shows an awesome way to start and stop under power. You may check his website also, it may have a video clip to help you.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster