I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions on filling tunnel with Permagloss?
Posted by: Buddy White (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 10:21PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the tunnels filled when using Permagloss? It's easy to fill the tunnel initially with a flood coat of PG but once all that solvent evaporates I'm left with a bunch of voids in the tunnel. Subsequent coats do not fill these voids since there is a thin layer of hardened PG on the thread above them. I know I could just finish the guides and they would perform just fine, but cosmetically it would be nice to get rid of those visible voids under the thread. I also know using CP would fix the problem but I like the look of translucent threads. I would really like to give PG a shot given its durability and flexibility. Am I just being too nit picky? Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions on filling tunnel with Permagloss?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2006 10:23PM

Dip a needle into your PG and transfer a drop to the tunnel opening. This usually does the trick, although it's a bit easier to do after the PG has been sitting out for a bit and has thickened just a tad.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 10:57PM

I recently wrapped two guides (ground to similar dimensions; started with both size 25 single foots) and then finished one with epoxy and the other with PG. I didn't try to fill the tunnel with the epoxy. But with the PG, I layed thick amounts (a brush load) on the thread atop one tunnel at a time with the tunnel I was attempting to fill being right on the top of the rod. I kept adding PG as it "disappeared", did the same in the other tunnel, and then finished the guide.

A few days later I cut the wraps and peeled them off. The epoxy filled the voids nicely but the PG had just a tad of a layer attached to the thread and nothing to the blank in the those tunnel areas. I think it probably would act as a block to the guide trying to possibly move, but I had hoped to get more in there than that and I really was surprised when I cut it because I thought that I'd accomplished filling the area.

Sounds like I should try the needle trick and re-do my test.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 11:31PM

Tom is right, the only thing that I do different is use a round tooth pick instead of a needle.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:21AM

The only time I even got close to filling tunnels with PG was with by using a needle. I'd suck the PG into the syringe, insert the needle as far down as I could, then fill the gap. Never completely worked, as the space being taken by the needle kept some air in the tunnel. Also, with Forhan Locking wraps, it was hard to not cut some threads with the needle, while sliding it into place.

Also, I'm a careful guy, but the idea of accidentally sticking myself with a needle full of PG really worried me. So, I quit messing with the PG/needle thing. If/When I use PG, I do my best, but just figure I'm gonna' have some air pockets. Not many folks ever look closely enough to notice.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:40AM

Use epoxy for the first coat and take off the excess with your brush. Let it cure for at least a couple of days, a week is better and top coat wit PG. I do this and I love the look.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:04PM

You might try a blocking wrap instead of a Forhan. It sounds as if PG is not the thing to fill the void given its drying properties. You might try a varnish or perhaps the new Threadmaster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster