I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping woes revisited
Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:10PM

...Just to confirm an earlier post on shipping rods.
Today I shipped 2 7' rods from CA to FL, packaged in a 7-1/2' x 4" round ABS tube, weighing 6 lbs.
UPS wanted $72 to ship ground(7-10 days), un-insured over $100. FedEx was ballpark close to that. U.S. Post Office shipped 2nd day air, insured to $200, for....get this....29 bux and some change!
I think FedEx and UPS should merge. They can call it: Fed-UP. LOL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping woes revisited
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:48PM

I shipped two rods during December, one to San Diego and one to Chicago, insured for about $29 and cents. Both packages arrived on time for Xmas via the post office. Some call it slow mail but I refuse to pay the high rates of Fed-Up.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:34PM

I always use USPS. Keep total lenght and girth under 108 inches and it will be no more than 28 dollas in the lower 48. I always send priorty mail. Not that much difference and it gets to the customer a lot faster.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:59PM

This is very interesting.....a few years ago, America was in love with brown.... and had nothing at all nice to say about the posties.....I watched a CBS news special on this deal, and the USPS has gone back into packages, because stamps for letters are down, because of all the e-mails. Prior, they were into letters as number one money generator.
(Tongue in cheek, eyes rolled upward....) How long will it be before brown, and the rest whine and snivel about....... "subsidies" ? :-)

Date: March 13, 2006 10:22PM

Ive always had UPS,and FedEx accounts, was a little cheaper with an account, but with the new buisness I didnt open new accounts...decided to to give USPS a go after reading the thread earlier this week...Glad I did.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 11:05PM

I thought this thread might be how one of Scott's pretty, new creations was destroyed by mad handlers... can't tell you how anxious I was to receive the Kustom for Kids and then the Global Rod in the mail in back-to-back days without any problems! Whew!

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: March 14, 2006 12:36AM

Randy, believe me...Ive had my share of folded over rod tubes courtesy of the primates in brown! lol ! Had one PVC tube with 6 graphite tournament prize rods litterally cut clean in half...looked like some kinda conveyor mishap.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:48AM

I received a PVC tube from DHL yesterday with one end completely broken off which left the contents exposed. Fortunately, the tube was 6" longer than the rod blanks inside and no damage was done to the merchandise. For me, it was the first time for such poor handling. /s/Bob

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:17PM

Scott, go back to UPS's shipping calculator and check the cost on "3 day select". believe it or not, it's probably HALF of the cost of Ground. We use it for anything over 84" as it's usually even cheaper than USPS! We ship 8' blanks Coast to Coast and have NEVER paid over $25 WITH insurance! Longer than 8' and we go to DHL ground. Recently shipped a 10' ULULA from CA. to Ohio for $25 insured.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:47PM

I use USPS most of the time and I use Priority Mail. Another thing, I Always insure for enough to build another one + one for me. Massive insurance seems to cause them to make sure 'it gets there intact. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:03PM

I agree with you Mark.......It seems when I have a problem with USPS it is on a non insured Item.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Date: March 15, 2006 05:39AM

Thanks fo the tip Mark!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.195.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 10:51PM

Good Luck with DHL......their service is complete joke. I have shipped numerous 10' surf blanks with them and they always...always end up broken. Getting a claim processed is a whole different story also.
In addition they'll only take items of that length either next day or second day air...here's the rub; even though you pay for 2nd day air, they won't guarantee that it will be delivered on the 2nd day because of the size. I had one 10' PVC tube take 3 weeks to arrive, an it was shipped 2nd day air. I went round and round with the regional rep and even she admitted it was a bogus policy and not fair to the shipper and receiver.

USPS insurance is only good domestically. If you insure an international shipment and it gets lost, you'll never get your money. I waited a year on one claim and just now received a notice saying the investigation was over.....no refund. Here's why; USPS will tell you that once your package reaches the destinations border they are no longer responsable for the delivery...it's up to the receivers country to deliver it. And since USPS has no international tracking, well.....

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.195.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 11:02PM

Mark is correct on the expedited shipping on larger items being cheaper.....it doesn't have to touch nearly as many "human hands" on a 3 day versus ground.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster