I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comments on spiral wrapped rod
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2006 01:07PM

My friend Jeffrey Wolfanger and I were fishing a gravel pit yesterday and another fisherman asked Jeff if his funny looking rod casts as well as a "normal" rod. Jeff made a long cast and started walking a High Roller bait back to the bank. He caught a couple of bass on two casts and the fellow asking the question got in his pickup and left. Jeff and I had a good laugh. I told Jeff, "What better way to show him."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comments on spiral wrapped rod
Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: March 13, 2006 07:37PM

i will tell you what i did on this subject. i had the person cast his rod as far as he could with a 3/8 sinker and worm on .i took my rod with only a worm on and casted further than he did,was he surprised,he had to have one made,thus i had a sale and a satisified customer all rolled into one.thanks joe

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 02:40PM

Funny how the "demo" stops 'em in their tracks. I had a PRIME example Saturday. A local builder came in with his client to pick out a blank & components for an Albacore rod. I had my 900L (acid wrapped of course) in the rack and the client coudn't take his eyes off it, but couldn't bring himself to say "what's up with THAT", so I said, "ever seen an acid rod before?". He hadn't, so I went on to explain.

His "old school" builder got all cocky and said "I know how to spine a rod, so I don't need to do that". I took the explaination a bit further to over come that objection and the next thing out of his mouth was "that may be okay for dropping bait, but it won't cast as well". I then slapped an Avet JX into the reel seat tied on about a 1oz. nut that I found out back and said (in my cockiest possible voice) "ever casted an Avet before? Be careful...".

He hastily grabbed the rod, threw the nut down the alley onto the roof of the building a couple of doors downat the end of the alley. You coulda heard a nut drop in the following seconds. The silence was broken by his client asking if HE knew how to set up the guides on an Acid Rod... I spent the next 15 minutes laying out the guide placement on his new blank! lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 02:51PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 05:02AM

Haha!

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 06:46PM

Greetings Ellis, Joe, Mark & Scott,

I am sure others will compliment you all and your stories, as well.

I am encouraged having never built a single casting rod and I am ready to change 'that' really soon.

For use from shore(beach and jetty), my initial 'stab' will be a spiral design for SW 20 # & 1/2 - 2 OZ: for Stripers and Snook.

I particular have had some doubt about distance compared to my customary spin gear.

Thanks for the inspiration,

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster